- Ottawa, ON
- Lawyer - In House Counsel, Lawyer - Private Practice
- Area of Practice
- Corporate/Commercial Law
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 1-3 years
Putting people first, every day
BDO is a firm built on a foundation of positive relationships with our people and our clients. Each day, we rely on our professionals to provide exceptional service, and help our clients by providing advice and insight they can trust. In turn, we offer an environment that fosters a people-first culture with a high priority on your personal and professional growth.
Our Ottawa office is looking for a Corporate/Commercial Lawyer to join our BDO Law team and own the following responsibilities:
- Experience in business purchase and sale transactions, implementing share re-organizations and estate freezes and drafting and negotiating shareholders’ agreements and commercial contracts.
- Able to be self-sufficient and competent to supervise more junior lawyers and law clerks on corporation/commercial transactions.
- Evaluate assignments in terms of fee estimates, delegate as appropriate and manage matters to completion.
- Continually focused on developing relationships across BDO Canada’s practice to drive referrals.
- Support the firm’s growth through talent acquisition and development, knowledge management and coaching of junior counsel and law clerks.
How do we define success for your role?
- You demonstrate BDO's core values through all aspect of your work: Integrity, Respect and Collaboration
- You understand your client’s industry, challenges, and opportunities; client describe you as positive, professional, and delivering high quality work
- You identify, recommend, and are focused on effective service delivery to your clients
- You share in an inclusive and engaging work environment that develops, retains and attracts talent
- You actively participate in the adoption of digital tools and strategies to drive an innovative workplace
- You grow your expertise through learning and professional development
Your experience and education
- Member in good standing of the Law Society of Ontario, or entitled to transfer from another jurisdiction. Multiple Canadian bar admissions would be considered an asset.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant corporate/commercial experience at a recognized national or local law firm.
- Private practice experience
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills, a collaborative nature, and the ability to work in a cross-team environment.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills with attention to detail.
- Effective time management and organizational skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines.
- High values in teamwork, client/customer service and professionalism.
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of staff and management.
Our firm is committed to providing an environment where you can be successful in the following ways:
- Firm success - We enable you to engage with the firm's strategic plan, and be a key contributor to the success and growth of the firm.
- Professional success - We help you be the best professional you can be in our services, industries and markets.
- Personal success - Achieve your personal goals outside of the office and make an impact on your community.
Giving back, it adds up: Where company meets community. BDO is actively involved in our communities by supporting local charity initiatives. We support staff with local and national events where you will be given the opportunity to contribute to your community.
Total rewards that matter: We pay for performance with competitive total cash compensation that recognizes and rewards your contribution. We provide flexible benefits from day one, and flexible time off through vacation, personal, and volunteer days. We are committed to supporting your overall wellness beyond working hours, and provide reimbursement for wellness initiatives that fit your lifestyle.
Everyone counts: We believe every employee should have the opportunity to participate and succeed. Through leadership by our Chief Inclusion and Diversity Officer, we are committed to a workplace culture of respect, inclusion, and diversity. We recognize and celebrate the valuable differences among each of us, including race, religious beliefs, physical or mental disabilities, age, place of origin, marital status, family status, gender or gender identity and sexual orientation. If you require accommodation to complete the application process, please contact us.
Ready to make your mark at BDO? Click “Apply now” to send your up-to-date resume to one of our Talent Acquisition Specialists.