- Brampton, ON
- Law Clerk, Lawyer - Other, Paralegal
- Area of Practice
- Contract Law
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- University degree
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 10+ years
The MDA facility in Brampton, Ontario has 30+ years experience in designing and operating space robotics systems such as Canadarm on the Space Shuttle, and Canadarm2 and Dextre on the International Space Station. In addition, we develop rover technology for Moon/Mars missions, and science instruments for planetary exploration missions. MDA is currently exploring future opportunities in areas such as AI-based robotics for Lunar Gateway (the next international space station, which will orbit the moon), planetary rovers, on-orbit satellite servicing, and next-generation space missions with broad engagement of industry partners. We are currently seeking a Senior Contract/Subcontract Manager.
The Senior Contract/Subcontract Manager is a critical member of the Government Robotics & Space Systems team. The position reports into the Legal Department with the Director, Government Robotics & Space Systems being a key client/stakeholder. The successful candidate will be responsible for leadership in complex procurements for Projects. Mission application areas include: space robotics, planetary rovers, and artificial intelligence-based control systems.
The Senior Contract/Subcontract Manager will focus on end-to-end support of subcontracts for the Government Robotics & Space Systems line of business. Key portfolio activities include: development of procurement strategies, lead and coordinate industry engagement, tender evaluation and negotiation; program dedicated reporting (including risk), claims, and contract change management. The incumbent will oversee multidisciplinary teams in management of subcontractor deliverables by delivering on time, on cost, and on quality in line with projects’ requirements. This senior role does not have direct reports.
- Develop Procurement Strategies in conjunction with projects, including assessment of industrial capacity, make/buy decisions, and establish scope and budget for complex ‘buys’. Produce a procurement/contracting strategy detailing the procurement commitments for bids and projects. Identify and mobilize multi-disciplinary procurement expertise in all aspects of bids and projects.
- Lead Industry Engagement for Complex Procurements. According to procurement/contracting strategies & project constraints, organize overall for the project the tender evaluation & supplier selection/negotiation process for complex procurements. Interpret and make stakeholders aware of the implications of contractual language and possible flow-down requirements from prime contracts.
- Contract Drafting. Prepares, presents and executes agreement documents covering: contracts, teaming, cooperation, confidentiality, licensing, personal services consulting, and representatives (agency) for both sales and procurements.
- Progress and Reporting. Regularly reports and reviews procurement/contract performance with project and the supply management organization. Keep documented records of commitments made and understandings between the company and its customers, subcontractors or suppliers.
- Ensure adherence to procurement processes. Stay informed and make others aware of the line of business procurement activities, procedures and policies. Ensure that the line of business is cognizant of the requirement to have these agreements properly expressed and executed in a timely manner to protect the interests of MDA. Must be able to apply procedures and standards sensibly.
- Continuous Improvement Advocacy and Management. Continuously align, improve and modernize procurement/contracting practices to improve business performance and customer satisfaction.
- Post-secondary education, including either a technical or business management certificate from a recognized institute of technology or a university degree in the field of accounting, business, science, law or engineering.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in complex procurements/contracts. Experience with Canadian government contracts would be advantageous as well as familiarity with government standard acquisition regulations and standard terms, such as SACC, DFAR, FAR and DEFCON requirements, and export regulations.
- Demonstrated leadership ability that includes effective communication, interpersonal, and negotiating skills to operate effectively with all with organizational work experience. Excellent verbal, written communication skills are essential to this position.
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously and as a member of a high performing team.
- Ability to collaborate broadly with peers and stakeholders, internally within MDA, and with partners and customers. Must be able to build and maintain professional relationships both within and outside of the engineering disciplines.
- High motivation with a proven ability to adapt quickly in dynamic environments.
- Experience with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems as well as MS Office proficiency.
- Regular travel for business is required.
Excellent verbal, written communication skills are essential to this position. All candidates must be able to obtain CGP and ITAR clearance.
MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates Inc. is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting diversity in the workplace.
With respects to Accessibilities for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates Inc. is proud to provide accommodation(s) during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodations, please feel free to notify us.
Competitive Compensation and Benefits Package
MDA provides competitive compensation and benefits packages for its employees at its many locations. As a member of the MDA team, you and your qualified dependents are eligible to participate in a benefit plan that ensures a comprehensive level of protection for employees and their families through health care plans, disability income protection, life insurance, and other employee benefits. The Company's retirement plans encourage employees to save for their future with a Company matching contribution in many locations.