Senior Manager, Corporate Secretary
- New York City, NY, US
- Area of Practice
- Banking & Finance, Regulatory, Corporate Governance
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- University degree
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
We are committed to investing in our employees and helping you continue your career at Scotiabank.
Contributes to the overall success of the Legal and Corporate Secretary department in the U.S. to help ensure that specific individual goals, plans, initiatives are executed / delivered in support of the team’s business strategies and objectives. Ensures all activities conducted are in compliance with governing regulations, internal policies and procedures.
- Champions a customer focused culture to deepen client relationships and leverage broader Bank relationships, systems and knowledge.
- Provide corporate secretarial support to both Board of Directors meeting and U.S. management committees:
- Independently schedule and assist in planning agendas for management committee and board meetings;
- Ensure regulatory and corporate governance requirements are met;
- Promote best in class governance standards, as applicable;
- Manage and prepare meeting material, including drafting of resolutions and speaking notes for the Chair;
- Prepare, maintain and agree with management a rolling agenda of topics to be covered at each Board or management Committee meeting;
- Request, review and compile information for meeting materials on a timely basis, allowing for management pre-review, where appropriate;
- Coordinate the powers of attorney process, drafting, production and certification of powers of attorney;
- Prepare signing authority forms and incumbency certificates, and circulate documents for signature as required;
- Ensure post-meeting activities such as the preparation of minutes and regulatory filings are completed;
- Maintain minute books;
- Track Board and management committee action items arising from meetings, check to determine if commitments are being addressed, escalate issues to management, the incumbent’s managers or company’s Chair, as required;
- Ensure adherence to the U.S. Committee Governance Guideline;
- Assist with general Corporate Secretary inquiries.
- Support legal entity life cycle (from incorporation and formation to cancellation and dissolution of legal entities) and maintain the Bank’s U.S. organizational chart;
- Ensure legal entities remain compliant and in good standing, file annual reports and franchise taxes; and
- Ensure the Englobe legal entity database is updated on a timely basis.
- Understand how the Bank’s risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day-to-day activities and decisions.
- Actively pursues effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas, while ensuring the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational risk, regulatory compliance risk, AML/ATF risk and conduct risk, including but not limited to responsibilities under the Operational Risk Management Framework, Regulatory Compliance Risk Management Framework, AML/ATF Global Handbook and the Guidelines for Business Conduct.
Education & Experience:
The incumbent must have a good knowledge of corporate secretarial practices and banking or regulatory experience, having served previously as a Corporate Secretary or Assistant Corporate Secretary, preferably in corporate and investment banking firm. The incumbent must also have a broad understanding of corporate governance practices/requirements. Proficiency with entity management databases also required – experience with EnGlobe and board portals (including Diligent) are considered an asset. Minimum seven years corporate secretarial experience required.
- 4 year degree
- Certified paralegal
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Professional, polished and confident demeanor
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well in a team and to leverage others to achieve goals
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Excel
- Ability to understand, interpret and simplify legal terminology and regulations
- Strong analytical, organizational and problem-solving skills
- Should be able to multi-task, work with a large volume of enquiries and prioritize tasks
- Should be self-motivated and work with minimal direction