- Loblaw Companies Limited
- Brampton, ON
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Corporate/Commercial Law
- Job Type
- Permanent, Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 1-3 years
The decision to join a company is a big one. We have opportunities for hard working, energetic and reliable people just like you.
Why is this role important?
• A constant learner- who is bright, curious, open to new ideas and interested in our business?
• Insightful- giving new perspectives and identifying paths beyond the status quo?
• Engaging- a person who makes connections and builds trust?
• Motivated- determined to pursue excellence, deliver on commitments and achieve success?
Every day approximately 200,000 full-time and part-time employees serve customers in nearly 2,500 corporate and franchised locations from coast to coast. This makes Loblaw one of Canada’s largest employers. Retail is fast and always moving – it starts with the customer and involves doing what it takes to deliver and measure results.
We look for colleagues who value the same things that we do, and who are passionate about food and quality customer service. Loblaw is committed to being socially responsible by respecting the environment, sourcing with integrity, making a positive difference in our communities, reflecting our nation’s diversity and being a great place to work.
The Legal Counsel will provide legal and strategic support to our various business groups within the context of goods and/or services procurement and other similar commercial contracts, both for those goods intended for resale (GFR) as well as those goods and services not intended for resale (GNFR). The Legal Counsel will also provide guidance to any supporting Law Clerks and Legal Assistants, , in order to provide those roles with learning and development opportunities. The successful candidate will provide sound, practical advice, using strong judgment in a fast-paced business environment.
- Draft, review and negotiate commercial contracts related to goods and/or services procurement.
- Provide legal expertise to a broad variety of business initiatives and projects.
- Interpret legislation and support development of policies and training, to help the business achieve and maintain regulatory compliance.
- Collaborate with other legal department colleagues and business partners, in:
- the analysis, both legal and strategic, of potential and existing risks,
- implementation of optimal mitigation strategies and
- carrying out complex transactions.
- Apprise senior lawyers of significant legal issues and/or trends which may affect the business.
- Support achievement of business objectives:
- with timely identification of issues/resolutions and
- by fostering strong collaborative relationships with business clients (develop solutions rather than roadblocks).
- Minimum 3 years’ post-call experience
- Member in good standing of the Law Society of Ontario
- Experience in business issues and practicalities
- Strong communication skills – both written and verbal. Able to communicate key information directly and effectively, in a manner that is appropriately tailored for the audience and instills confidence.
- Excellent drafting skills.
- Ability to produce concise, insightful legal opinions and summaries as requested by the business or other members of the Legal Department.
- Highly organized with the ability to multi-task and prioritize in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrates the personal characteristics set out at the beginning of this posting.
- Bilingualism (English and French) considered an asset.
How You’ll Succeed:
At Loblaw, we seek great people to continually strengthen our culture. We believe great people model our values, are authentic, build trust and make connections.
If that sounds like you, and you are open-minded, responsive to change and up to the challenges provided in a fast-paced retail environment, apply today.
In addition, we believe that compliance with laws is about doing the right thing. Upholding the law is part of our Code of Conduct – it reinforces what our customers and stakeholders expect of us.