The Senior Documentation Specialist is accountable to support all sales forces in the opening, maintenance and closing of NA TPS accounts and services. They will directly impact the bank’s ability to meet regulatory requirements and manage risk through the timely preparation, review and analysis of treasury management agreements and deposit account documentation. The incumbent will ensure adherence to all internal and external policies and requirements in order to protect the Banks assets and minimize losses. This role includes key legal and operational risk management responsibilities. The Senior Documentation Specialist will also negotiate agreements with internal and external counsel.
Business Delivery and Operational Effectiveness
- Execute the end-to-end documentation processes for assigned sectors, including the distribution, collection, review, analysis and processing of Treasury & Payment Solutions (TPS) product/service agreements and commercial deposit account documentation.
- Negotiate directly with clients to make both standard and non-standard modifications to TPS agreement terms as needed. Employ appropriate escalation channel when requested modifications expose the bank to non-standard/unusual risk.
- Review higher-risk client requests and confirm that proper authorizations have been received.
- Assist with the development, review and implementation of legal documents for new and enhanced T&PS products/services.
- Provide advice and guidance on TPS legal documentation to clients and internal partners as needed.
- Gain trust with client and internal partners as a trusted advisor for account and legal documentation needs.
- Actively participate in TPS projects and initiatives as assigned.
- Optimize and continuously upgrade skills and usage of tools provided to deliver high-quality service to the client.
Change and Innovation
- Collaborate with internal and external resources to provide recommendations that will streamline processes where possible.
- Verify that the correct documents are provided and that necessary AML/Risk/Compliance processes have been performed, and/or approvals been received before completing documentation validation tasks
- Participate fully in TPS internal and external audit activities and actively work to address any current (and prevent future) findings
- Stay abreast of current legal and regulatory issues/decisions that could potentially impact TPS legal agreements and practices to ensure bank compliance
- Manage risk through ensuring documentation production follows established approved practices and completed documents are unchanged and executed as required prior to finalizing transaction
- Follow security and safeguarding procedures and apply appropriate due diligence in accordance with Bank policy for the prevention of loss due to fraud, robbery, counterfeiting, money laundering or defalcation.
- Maintain the confidentiality of both customer and Bank information ensuring compliance with Bank Policies & Procedures.
- Understand risks and take appropriate actions as they relate to TPS products, including all documentation, and any other requirements to maintain operational integrity.
Client and Relationship Management
- Minimize negative customer impact by resolving questions and issues with TPS agreements and account documentation in a timely and effective manner
- Communicate with clients in a professional manner that conveys competence, respect, and the value of the client relationship.
- Act as a go to person for Documentation Specialists and Coordinators with less experience, providing information and resolving issues where possible.
- Legal degree, paralegal certification and/or equivalent legal experience
- 2-3 years of treasury management or contract negotiation experience, desired
- General knowledge of Treasury & Payment Solutions products and services
- Working knowledge of banking regulatory environment and Uniform Commercial Code (UCC)
- Working knowledge of PC and office automation applications as applicable to perform the job effectively and efficiently.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Ability to interpret and negotiate legal terms professionally and effectively
- Ability to effectively manage multiple priorities
- Strong client management and internal/external relationship building skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to adapt quickly to changing situations and priorities
We’re here to help
At BMO we have a shared purpose; we put the customer at the centre of everything we do – helping people is in our DNA. For 200 years we have thought about the future—the future of our customers, our communities and our people. We help our customers and our communities by working together, innovating and pushing boundaries to bring them our very best every day. Together we’re changing the way people think about a bank.