- Vancouver Airport Authority
- Vancouver, BC
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Corporate/Commercial Law, Commercial Real Estate Law
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 1-3 years
YVR is made up of a team of diverse people who are working collaboratively to reach our goal of 29 million passengers by 2020! Safety is at the core of everything we do; we’re innovative, fun, and we invest in our people. We’re a BC Top Employer for 13 years standing, with high engagement scores, an abundance of learning and development opportunities, and a holistic approach to wellness! And we’re looking for someone to join our team.
As one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, Vancouver Airport Authority strives for a workplace that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve. We support the Employment Equity Act and take measures to ensure fair employment practices and treatment of employees across our organization. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates, including women, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities. We encourage applicants to self-identify with a designated group(s) to support our team in filling gaps in areas where we can be more diverse. We are also happy to provide reasonable accommodations throughout the selection process and while working at YVR. If you require support applying online because you are a person with a disability, please contact us at 604-303-3152 or email@example.com. Check out the reasons that make us a Top Employer at: https://content.eluta.ca/top-employer-vancouver-airport.
We have an opportunity for a permanent, full-time Legal Counsel in the Legal Services Department focusing on real estate and privacy. Reporting to the Director, Legal Services, the successful candidate will work closely with YVR’s leasing and development teams to provide legal advice on their projects at the airport.
Key responsibilities include:
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating commercial contracts, including lease and licence agreements
- Reviewing, advising on and responding to privacy matters, including CCTV, privacy impact assessments, and privacy inquiries from both internal and external stakeholders
- Providing advice on compliance with legislation, internal policies and procedures, and risk management matters
- Identifying and mitigating legal risk for YVR
- Working with and overseeing the work of the Revenue Contracts Clerk
- Working with YVR’s legal team (legal counsel, paralegals and clerks) on team initiatives
Key qualifications include:
- At least three years of relevant experience at a corporate/commercial law firm or in-house legal department
- Member of Law Society of British Columbia in good standing
- Experience in commercial leasing and general corporate law
- Experience in privacy law and land development is an asset
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to meet deadlines and manage a variety of projects simultaneously and balance conflicting priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate legal advice in a clear and practical manner
- Ability to work independently with a high degree of initiative and desire for continuous learning opportunities
- Strong interpersonal skills and customer service focused with the ability to develop strong relationships with a variety of internal stakeholders
- Demonstrate sound, pragmatic judgment with the ability to problem-solve and critically analyse situations
- Positive attitude and the desire to join a close-knit and supportive team
This position is open to Vancouver Airport Authority employees and to external candidates. Previous job performance will be taken into consideration for all internal candidates that apply for this position.
As part of our recruitment process, short-listed candidates will be required to take part in an assessment process.