Conseiller juridique, Affaires juridiques/ Legal Counsel, Business & Legal Affairs
- Global Eagle
- Montreal, QC
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Business Law, Media & Communications Law
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional Degree - LL.B or B.C.L
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
Global Eagle Entertainment Inc. (NASDAQ: ENT) is a leading provider of satellite-based connectivity and media to fast-growing, global mobility markets across air, land and sea. Supported by proprietary and best-in-class technologies, Global Eagle offers a fully integrated suite of rich media content and seamless connectivity solutions that cover the globe. With approximately 1,200 employees and 50 offices on six continents, Global Eagle delivers exceptional service and rapid support to a diverse base of customers around the world. Find out more at: www.globaleagle.com
The position of Legal Counsel, reports directly to the Director, Business and Legal Affairs. The position requires regular interaction with domestic and international members of Company’s commercial business, as well as coordination with other Company shared-services teams and external customers and vendors, among others.
The position requires a commercial transactions lawyer with a strong grounding in intellectual property law and substantial experience with technology transactions and entertainment deals to support all of Global Eagle’s commercial business segments. The ideal candidate will have knowledge of, and experience with, issues arising in cross-jurisdictional commercial agreements. The Legal Counsel will independently advise, manage, negotiate and drive forward key commercial deals from internal analysis and request for proposal to final executed contract, acting in both legal and business affairs capacities. By necessity, a strong and close working relationship will exist between the attorney and personnel across Global Eagle’s offices in Montreal, its headquarters in Los Angeles, and throughout the world.
- Interface directly with internal clients to ascertain and provide for business and legal affairs needs, including establishing deal points, analyzing legal risk, counseling, and contract drafting and negotiating.
- Act as legal lead on complex supplier, customer, licensing, development, work-for-hire, independent contractor, non-disclosure agreements and a variety of other commercial transactions.
- Update and create templates for all products and services sold and received by Global Eagle.
- Advise and participate in the development of business strategy together with business segment and product leads.
- Represent Company in negotiations with customers and vendors.
- Draft and implement Company legal and business affairs policies and processes.
- Take ownership of, and advise across Company with regard to, Company’s inbound; outbound and reseller product and services agreements globally, including advising business units on rights and products available for use.
- Negotiate and manage relationships with a wide spectrum of domestic and international content, capacity and service providers.
- Work directly with business teams to provide ad vice on the implementation of strategic and tactical business plans and objectives of the Company.
- Audit content practices and recommend and implement best practices and procedures for legal and contracts compliance.
- Conduct trainings for business clients with regard to legal risks, as well as principles of legal agreements and contracting.
- Other duties and special projects as directed by the Director, Business & Legal Affairs.
Qualifications and competencies
- Admission in good standing to the Quebec Bar.
- Practical-minded business attorney who has a “can do” attitude and is a team player, enthusiastic, energetic, pro-active, responsive and service-driven.
- 3-7 years of technology and/or media and content business and legal affairs experience required, including licensing, contracts drafting and negotiating, and advising clients regarding the same.
- Legal and contracts experience in at least some of the following areas required: technology products and services, technology licensing and development, satellite and telecommunications products and services, media and content licensing, audio/visual content creation, copyright, trademark, advertising, and marketing.
- Games, software and telecommunications equipment experience preferred.
- Experience with cross-border legal issues preferred.
- Willingness to travel to various international and domestic offices where Company’s business is conducted on occasion.
- Proven ability to work cross-culturally and to communicate effectively with domestic and international clients, customers and vendors.
- Privacy, security and compliance experience is a plus.
- Tax experience is a plus.
Areas of Interest and Intrinsic Competencies
- Enthusiasm for client-service
- Self-reliant approach
- Team player
- Proactive and responsive
- Ability to develop creative solutions to legal, business and operational challenges
- Highly organized and detail oriented, plus ability to execute with big-picture efficiency
- Excellent judgment with regard to managing legal risk, dealing with confidential content matter, and escalating relevant matters to senior leadership
Please note : Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted