GSC is not your traditional benefits provider. We’re different, and that’s a good thing.
As Canada’s only national not-for-profit health and dental benefits specialist, our reason for being is to create innovative solutions that improve access to better health. Committed to providing effective cost containment strategies, advanced technology, and exceptional customer service, we manage and administer benefit plan programs for plan members nation-wide.
We’ve also been recognized as an exceptional place to work, with an energetic culture derived from our dedication to Canadian health care.
The Director Senior Legal Counsel is a critical leadership role responsible for leading GSC’s in-house legal function. Working collaboratively and cross-functionally to provide strategic counsel to the business, the Director Senior Legal Counsel will support the organization’s growth agenda and ensure there is increased capability to manage within a more complex business and regulatory environment. Reporting to the Director, Head of Risk, Compliance and Legal, the Director Senior Legal Counsel will provide legal guidance on business decisions, issues and strategic initiatives. The Director Senior Legal Counsel will lead and evolve GSC’s legal function to that of a proactive, strategic business enabler that meets the unique needs of the business. He/she will interface with all levels of management on a broad range of initiatives and will contribute to strategic planning.
Overview of Responsibilities
· Build the legal function, and manage legal activities relating to GSC’s business.
· Manage external legal work and relationships to ensure ready access to top expertise in specific areas of practice.
· Set and manage the budget for the legal function.
· Establish and maintain a database of legal related decisions, including past decisions and corporate regulatory history.
· Participate actively in contract activity including reviewing and drafting agreements (corporate contracts, customer contracts including group and individual health and dental contracts, partner agreements, distribution agreements, non-disclosure agreements, etc.).
· Provide legal guidance on day to day business issues including but not limited to: privacy and consent matters; Insurance Act(s); and market conduct issues.
· Manage and oversee litigation activities.
· Advise and assist the marketing team regarding trademark registration, advertising, marketing, brand, and product related issues.
· Represent GSC at industry association committees and working groups.
· Engage proactively in monitoring the industry and contributing to the strategic planning and leadership of GSC, including being an active member of the Directors Forum.
· Lead and/or participate in projects in support of GSC’s Strategic Plan or achievement of Corporate or department goals.
· Consistently embrace GSC’s Mission and Values, as well as GSC leadership behaviours.
Competencies and Qualifications
· The ideal candidate will hold a Law degree from a recognized University combined with 8-10 years of relevant experience practicing law as commercial Legal Counsel or with a law firm. He/she will bring demonstrated experience ideally from the life and health insurance industry.
· He/she will be a member of the Ontario Bar and member in good standing with the Law Society of Upper Canada.
· The ideal candidate will be proactive, outcome driven, fast and flexible with demonstrated success translating complex ideas into understandable and common business terminology.
· He/she is accessible, balances the short and long term and is tenacious with an intuitive sense of emerging business opportunities.
· A thought leader and strong critical thinker, he/she understands how to navigate through complexity and build consensus throughout the organization. Organizationally savvy and politically astute, he/she possesses strong influencing skills with the ability to provide clear customer-oriented legal advice and support in a timely and professional manner.
· The successful candidate is a player/coach who can operate across all levels of a business. An energetic self-starter, he/she has the ability to develop and execute strategy as well as be hands-on in delivering the mandate.
· An advocate for the organization and key stakeholders, the ideal candidate possesses the managerial courage to challenge the status quo.
· Collaborative and able to work effectively through others, he/she will be a strong team builder and team player, with proven accomplishments in building effective relationships. He/she consistently inspires, develops and empowers individuals, knowing when and how to stretch those with high potential.
· A high integrity leader, he/she leads by example, is consistent and makes decisions with the organization’s values in mind. The Director Senior Legal Counsel is collaborative by nature who stands up and speaks out and understands that leadership is “what you do, not what you say”.
· He/she has superior listening, written and verbal communication skills, including contract drafting. In this respect, the Director Senior Legal Counsel possesses the language and imagery skills needed to describe tomorrow’s success in compelling terms.
· Authentic, respectful and ethical, he/she champions the GSC’s values and possesses a high degree of emotional intelligence, displaying empathy, consistency and a commitment to serve the needs of the business.
· Bilingual communication skills in English and French are considered an asset.
To explore this dynamic opportunity in further detail, please contact Laurie Scott, Principal at The Bedford Consulting Group at email@example.com