Mastercard Foundation is a global foundation based in Toronto, Canada with several offices in Africa. Our programs promote financial inclusion and advance education and learning in Africa, primarily for young people, and in Canada for Indigenous youth. The Foundation was established in 2006 through the generosity of Mastercard when it became a public company. From inception, the Foundation was designed to be a separate entity and independent from Mastercard. Our policies, operations, and funding decisions are made by our President and Board of Directors.
The Foundation believes that youth employment is key to unlocking prosperity, both for youth and their societies. Enabling young women and men from disadvantaged communities to secure dignified and fulfilling work will ensure inclusive development and economic growth in Africa.
Values are timeless, they transcend and rise above all. They guide everything we do, as employees of the Foundation. We share a common vision of a world where everyone has the opportunity to learn and prosper. We make mistakes, we reflect, and we grow so that we can impact our world – it’s why we are here. We are ambitious and driven. We encourage you to bring your bold ideas, curiosity, and expertise to your work. We laugh at ourselves and with each other. We are a team. Our journey together makes our impact even more meaningful.
Reporting to the Associate Director, the Legal Counsel, Corporate, Charity and Tax will be responsible for reviewing and advising on program proposals, contracts and ensuring compliance with legal and regulatory requirements, with a particular emphasis on CRA considerations. This role will work closely with senior leaders, Foundation staff and at times, external legal counsel to ensure compliance.
- Work with program teams to review funding proposals and new program areas.
- Negotiate and review funding proposals and funding contracts and communicate feedback appropriately.
- Monitor contract and regulatory compliance on program implementation and related risk management issues.
- Work closely with members of the Legal and Compliance team to maintain and upgrade funding documentation.
- Ensure contracts are in line with the Foundation policies, procedures and business objectives.
- Actively participate in various projects as legal support for the Foundation.
- Proactively identify, analyze and respond to legislative developments affecting the Foundation.
- Support the continuous improvement of legal processes and procedures.
- Build and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Successful completion of a Canadian university degree in law (LLB or JD).
- Member in good standing of the Law Society of Ontario.
- Minimum of 2-4 years of experience working in a reputable firm or in-house position with a demonstrated record of success.
- Minimum of 2-4 years of experience in charitable and non-profit law as well as corporate, contract and tax law.
- Ability to challenge appropriately and voice alternative perspectives and viewpoints.
- Strong leadership, organizational and analytical skills.
- Strong drafting and negotiation skills.
- Ability to exercise appropriate and sound judgement and discretion in dealing with legal matters.
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills with the ability to articulate information to a variety of constituents across cultures.
- Strong interpersonal and listening skills and is open and receptive to feedback.
- Results driven; Motivated by a high sense of performance excellence and a sense of urgency.
- Flexible, intellectually curious and open. Must be comfortable with ambiguity, be receptive to new ideas, and is also willing to change when presented with best options.
- Innovative and entrepreneurial; can formulate and develop new or creative approaches to problems and inspires others on the team to do so as well.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite (PowerPoint, Word, Excel).
- Impeccable integrity.
- May require international travel up to 10% of the time.
Please email your resume along with a cover letter explaining your interest in the position to email@example.com, indicating “Legal Counsel, Corporate, Charity and Tax” in the subject line of your email. We will forward resumes to a search firm who is supporting this search. All applications are appreciated; however, please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Mastercard Foundation values the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Foundation, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. We appreciate your interest, and advise that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted directly.
Completion of satisfactory business references, background checks (criminal and credit) and proof of education are essential conditions of employment.
If you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please contact the People and Culture Department. We will work with you to provide a positive recruitment experience in a confidential manner.