Articling Student, Staff Counsel
Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That’s Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers – and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
The Articling Student position provides qualified students with an excellent opportunity to gain first-hand experience, receive valuable on-the-job training and learn more about the property & casualty insurance industry.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
All job duties are completed under the supervision of a Supervising Lawyer – Managing Counsel, Associate Managing Counsel, Senior Counsel, Counsel or Associate Counsel:
- Assists and supports Counsel in Claim Legal, Regulatory Compliance, Surety, Special Lines and Staff Counsel in all aspects of litigation, as needed
- Conducts legal research by analyzing statutes, cases and regulations and summarizing information for application to a particular situation
- Organize documentation and prepare responses for Counsel
- Preparation of memos, pleadings, motions, briefs and other file documents
- Works on research and inquiries, handles basic information gathering
- Attend Court for litigation events (e.g. motion, assignment court, etc.), as needed
- Perform routine administrative tasks including time reporting and other administrative tasks appropriate to performance of job duties
- Work on special projects and/or assignments as requested (e.g. research bank)
- Ability to communicate effectively through writing and presentations
- Interact with Counsel, Staff, Clients, Claim and other Business Partners
- Learn and understand claim customers’ expectations and key department business goals and assist in meeting those goals
- Travel as required to meet business needs
Education, Work Experience & Knowledge
- Completed Juris Doctorate or Bachelor of Laws Degree (three full years of law school; anticipated 2020 completion) at a Law Society of Ontario accredited Law School
- For this articling opportunity, we are most interested in students who are serious about entering the insurance industry and who are excited about the prospect of making litigation and insurance defense their future career choice.
- Preferred cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above.
Job Specific & Technical Skills & Competencies
Working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Strong analytical skills.
Legally eligible to work in Canada.
Please include a cover letter, résumé, and law school transcripts with your application. Undergraduate transcripts and writing samples are not required, but appreciated.
- Completed Juris Doctorate or Bachelor of Laws Degree (three full years of law school) at a Law Society of Ontario accredited Law School
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer.
We are committed to providing accommodation to persons with disabilities. If you require accommodation during the recruitment or interview process we will work with you to accommodate your needs.