Blackhawk Network delivers branded payment programs to meet our partners’ business objectives. We collaborate with our partners to innovate, translating market trends in branded payments to increase reach, loyalty and revenue. With a presence in over 26 countries, we reliably execute branded payment programs in over 100 countries worldwide. Join us as we shape the future of global branded payments.
Blackhawk is headquartered in Pleasanton, California. For more information, please visit blackhawknetwork.com.
Blackhawk Network has an immediate opening for a senior attorney at its Toronto, Ontario office. This is a full time position that will manage a small team of skilled lawyers and contract managers responsible for overseeing corporate and commercial matters in Canada, Mexico and Brazil, including drafting and negotiating commercial transaction work. The successful candidate will be part of a global team that provides legal support to 26 markets. This position is situated in Toronto and reports to the General Counsel.
The preferred candidate will have at least 10 years’ relevant experience including at least 5 years’ practice at a top-tier law firm. This position requires an efficient lawyer with excellent interpersonal skills who enjoys working in a collaborative environment. We are looking for a great teammate who is dedicated, detail oriented, and passionate about understanding prepaid products and services.
- Oversee and manage a team of lawyers and contract managers located in Toronto, Sao Paolo and US.
- Interface effectively with executive management as a trusted partner
- Lead efforts to understand and comply with legal and regulatory requirements in the three countries, and revise contract forms to meet market and regulatory requirements
- Draft, review and negotiate complex contracts related to prepaid products and services
- Key partner to support multiple sales teams, in collaboration with compliance, risk, treasury/settlement, information security, technology, and other stakeholders, in a manner consistent with applicable law and corporate risk tolerance
- Collaborate effectively with the General Counsel and other lead attorneys to provide collective leadership of the Legal Department
- Obtain advice from external counsel in Canada, Mexico and Brazil, as required
- Ensure the sufficiency, alignment, and efficient allocation of legal resources and manage the Legal Department's performance against companywide and interdepartmental metrics
- Promote continuous quality improvement, leadership development, and professional development
- Balance leadership and management responsibilities with the active legal practice of a highly effective senior lawyer
- Please highlight any experience managing attorneys and contract mangers in your resume or cover letter
- 10 years’ relevant experience including at least 5 years’ practice at a top-tier law firm
- JD required
- Member of the Law Society of Ontario
- Experience working with financial services and technology
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- Knowledge of French, Spanish and Portugese is relevant, but not a requirement
Blackhawk Network Inc. is committed to meeting the needs of people with disabilities in a timely manner, and will do so by preventing and removing barriers to accessibility and meeting accessibility requirements under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.