Foresters, an international financial services organization, is seeking a motivated law clerk/paralegal to join its team of legal professionals at the organization’s head office in Toronto.
The incumbent will have the unique opportunity to utilize solid technical knowledge gained from industry experience as well as a solid educational background over a variety of legal corporate matters while partnering with a team of legal counsel and other professionals.
This role is primarily responsible for delivering high quality, timely and accurate corporate paralegal and project related support to the Legal Department. The incumbent will support the operations of the department and be instrumental in supporting the departments’ organization and operational efficiencies.
- Provide broad based corporate paralegal support as required within the Legal department. This may include providing guidance to business areas on corporate and regulatory issues, drafting and reviewing legal or statutory documents, identifying, compiling and interpreting information for various legal and corporate secretarial matters.
- Provide timely and accurate legal research, as required, by reviewing and analyzing statues, rules, regulations and case law; assessing, analyzing, communicating results and making conclusions or recommendations to the legal team.
- Oversee timely and accurate preparation of regulatory filings, coordinating with agents for service, compliance requirements, completion of registrations and renewals with minimal to no deficiencies
- Working with corporate secretarial team to organize and schedule subsidiary annual general meetings including preparation and distribution of materials
- Preparation of Foresters Director & Officer Liability annual renewal
- Maintenance and tracking of trademark portfolio including acquisitions, renewals and deletions for Foresters and its subsidiaries
- Provide project support for legal, business and corporate related projects and initiatives including stakeholder engagement, monitor action items, liaise with stakeholders or escalate as needed.
- Minimum of 5-7 years experience in a Paralegal or similar position working in a Legal Department or law firm.
- Post secondary Law Clerk or Paralegal Diploma or equivalent experience.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of US and Canadian legal issues, corporate governance, insurance laws, rules, regulations and regulatory process including an ability to interpret legislation and case law.
- Proven time management and organizational skills with the ability to multi-task in a fast paced and dynamic Legal environment.
- Excellent communications skills (verbal, written, presentation) with the ability to influence at all levels.
- Maintain confidentiality in handling sensitive information.
- Solid and demonstrated knowledge of computer software including MS Office applications (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and other database software.
- Willingness to work extra hours when required.