At Gowling WLG, our dedication to excellence and quality service begins with our people. As a global law firm with offices across Canada, the U.K., Europe, the Middle East and Asia, we pride ourselves on sourcing and retaining top talent who bring energy, passion and commitment to the delivery of outstanding client service.
When it comes to diversity, we not only accept it — we celebrate it, support it and thrive on it. To create an engaging and rewarding place to work, we seek to attract talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures. Our aim is to help everyone reach their full potential and achieve their personal and professional goals.
Employee satisfaction is important to us. We work hard to ensure that our people are motivated, engaged and empowered. Our diverse group of legal professionals, law students, law clerks/paralegals, legal administrative assistants and business support staff work together as a team, and are respected and valued for their individual contributions.
We are currently seeking a Senior Law Clerk to work within our Litigation Department. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 3 years of litigation clerking experience in a full service legal environment. The successful candidate will be able to work independently as well as part of a team and will bring a strong willingness to learn. The candidate will work closely with all members of our Litigation Department providing our clients with quality work and a high level of customer service.
- Receives directions from the professional on the status of the file, the steps required for the conduct of the file, with instructions to meet critical deadlines.
- Drafts a variety of documentation, from research, precedents and/or directions, including pleadings, forms, contracts, agreements, and correspondence to meet the needs of the various steps required throughout the conduct of the file, in accordance with legislation and/or governing regulations.
- Assists the professional to ensure that each action on the file conforms to the requirements of the Courts and/or Governing Tribunals or other Government Department.
- Systematically organizes, tracks and maintains document files and case correspondence, using, where appropriate, computer databases and imaging software.
- Initiates follow up actions where and when necessary.
- Assists the professional in preparation for formal stages of the process, such as Examinations for Discovery; Closings; Court Proceedings, etc.
- Liaises with client to obtain and, when directed by the professional, provide information.
- Communicates directly with service providers and judicial/tribunal officials in connection with the client’s file.
- Prepares reports on an as needed basis.
- 3+ years of Law Clerk experience in a corporate environment specifically within Litigation.
- Experience with TeraView and Conveyancer.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Produce a high quality and quantity of work product, occasionally under tight timelines.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
- Able to prioritize and redefine priorities when necessary.
- Strong work ethic, excellent attention to detail, highly organized and proactive.
- Capacity to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Ability to deal with a constant workload, while being able to multi-task and prioritize effectively.
Gowling WLG is proud to offer equal employment opportunities.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know.
While we appreciate all applications received, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.