Articling Student – Canadian Business Immigration
We are currently seeking a dynamic articling student to grow with our Ottawa Immigration practice and be a part of our team of immigration professionals As part of this opportunity, the articling student will contribute to the delivery of solutions and ideas for our diverse clients on a wide range of business immigration services including temporary work permits, permanent residence applications, and other immigration related strategies. This position offers excellent opportunities for teaming and career advancement to the right candidate.
Your key responsibilities
- Demonstrate a solid understanding and knowledge of Canadian business immigration law and effectively apply it to client situations.
- Prepare and submit a high volume of various immigration applications from start to finish, including document collection, drafting, preparing submissions, following up with Government authorities and managing client expectations.
- Supporting clients with the legal movement of employees across borders for business travel.
- Independent legal research.
- Attending or assisting with client meetings and presentations.
- Keeping case management software up to date and advising both the supervising lawyer and the clients of any key deliverables
Skills and attributes for success
- Strong verbal and written English communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Strong time management skills and ability to manage competing priorities and business expectations
- Passion about Immigrations with a high level of motivation, strong work ethic and self-starting attitude
- Ability to work well independently as well as within a team environment
- Critical thinking and analysis of legal issues as they may impact or be impacted by business decisions
- Strong analytical capabilities which can be used in evaluating business issues and determining legal strategies
To qualify for the role you must have
- Registered in the Lawyer Licensing Process with the Law Society
- Completed a J.D or LL.B
- Superior academic credentials
What working at EY offers
At EY, our Total Rewards package supports our commitment to creating a leading people culture - built on high-performance teaming - where everyone can achieve their potential and contribute to building a better working world for our people, our clients and our communities. It's one of the many reasons we repeatedly win awards for being a great place to work.
We offer a competitive compensation package where you’ll be rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you bring to our business. In addition, our Total Rewards package allows you decide which benefits are right for you and which ones help you create a solid foundation for your future. Our Total Rewards package includes a comprehensive medical, prescription drug and dental coverage, a defined contribution pension plan, a great vacation policy plus firm paid days that allow you to enjoy longer long weekends throughout the year, statutory holidays and paid personal days (based on province of residence), and a range of exciting programs and benefits designed to support your physical, financial and social well-being. Plus, we offer:
- Support and coaching from some of the most engaging colleagues in the industry
- Learning opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
- The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that’s right for you
As a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services, we’re using the finance products, expertise and systems we’ve developed to build a better working world. That starts with a culture that believes in giving you the training, opportunities and creative freedom to make things better. Whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime. Recognized as one of Canada's top employers, EY continually strives to be a great place to work and with a commitment to hiring and developing the most passionate people, we’ll make our ambition to be the best employer by 2020 a reality.
If you can confidently demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible.
Make your mark. Apply today.
EY is committed to inclusiveness, equity and accessibility. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply.