Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become better off.
The Senior Legal Assistant contributes to the efficient operation of the Legal Department by performing a wide range of administrative and law clerk duties, of a highly technical, complex and confidential nature for four or more lawyers.
The incumbent provides assistant support by:
- composing/drafting legal documents under the direction of counsel, including basic internal and external correspondence, reports, memoranda, presentations, using templates and precedents; converting documents from PDF to an editable Word format;
- responding to, and completing requests sent to the Legal Admin mailbox within a predetermined time line;
- creating and maintaining both manual and online filing systems;
- receiving, logging and distribution of courier deliveries and legal servings;
- database management, updating lawyer information, creating and updating administrative Standard Operating Procedures;
- working with other business lines within the Bank (at various levels of seniority) and external counsel, (including tracking, reviewing and arranging for payment of invoices);
- coordination of meetings, managing principals’ calendars, arranging video conferencing, managing appointments, arranging for the registration and payment of memberships, licences, seminars; travel arrangements, overseeing corporate expense cards, and preparation of expense statements;
- making travel arrangements and preparing expense reports;
- covering vacation absences of other members of the legal administrative team; and
- other special projects and responsibilities, as assigned
- tracking and reporting monthly International Hours for billing purposes;
- participate in the preparation & distribution of monthly and quarterly reports within a specific deadline.
The incumbent must possess a minimum of 4 years of legal administrative experience, at a top tier business law firm, or an in-house legal department with a sophisticated financial services legal practice.
- exceptional communication skills (written & oral)
- advanced computer skills, proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), Adobe and the internet
- team player with the ability to work independently
- strong knowledge of legal concepts
- high level of judgment/organizational skills and initiative to deal with varied duties
- ability to exercise discretion when dealing with sensitive, highly confidential matters
- the incumbent must be self-motivated and work with only moderate direction.
- ability to initiate administrative projects required to support the law practice.
- ability to adapt to change on short notice
- exceptional organizational skills.
- ability to multitask
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
As Canada's International Bank, we are a diverse and global team. We speak more than 100 languages with backgrounds from more than 120 countries. We value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.