Law Clerk (Municipal Law)
- City of Toronto
- Toronto, ON
- $36.69 - $40.19 / Hour
- 2327023 X
- Law Clerk, Legal Assistant
- Area of Practice
- Municipal Law
- Job Type
- Permanent, Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- College diploma
Reporting to the Director of the Municipal Law section, the Law Clerk will support the Practice Leads and section Solicitors. The primary responsibilities are:
- Reviews Council authorities or delegated approvals relevant to assigned responsibilities
- Consults with technical and professional staff from client divisions and City boards as necessary, and obtains all relevant documents from them for assembling formal written agreements
- Drafts and/or reviews written agreements, agreement-related documents, correspondence, by-laws and statutory declarations as required
- Checks to determine if all relevant statutory requirements are addressed as they relate to assigned matters
- Arranges for execution of written agreements by authorized signing officers of City or relevant City board
- Processes execution of documents by outside parties, including detailed review of executed and/or required documents for compliance with City requirements
- Reports finalization of matters to the appropriate City division or City board
- Responds to inquiries from City divisions, outside boards or agencies, lawyers and the public
- Maintains "tickler" or "bring forward" system with respect to formal written agreement processes, and provides periodic file status reports
- Participates in documenting and introducing new formal written agreement policies and procedures in the client and Legal Services divisions, including appropriate client training as required.
- Assembles, documents and processes formal written construction, consultant and other agreements (e.g. grant agreements) for the City and City boards, including, if required, the inclusion of necessary bonds, necessary insurance coverage certificates and other required declarations (i.e. Workers' Compensation Insurance Board, Occupational Health and Safety Act)
- Assists in gathering information from various sources regarding agreements, including telephone and e-mail follow-ups
- Drafts and responds to internal and external correspondence
- Files and distributes documents as required
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Successful completion of Post-Secondary education in a Law Clerk /Legal Assistant program or a relevant discipline, or the equivalent combination of education and/or related experience.
- Experience drafting and reviewing construction, consultant, grant or similar agreements.
You must also have:
- Proficiency utilizing a variety of software programs including MS Office (Word, Excel) and databases.
- Must be willing to work overtime as necessary.
- Ability to handle large volume of different files in an organized manner.
- Ability to deal courteously and tactfully with the public, staff and private sector lawyers.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
- Knowledge of agreements and agreement preparation
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion:The City of Toronto is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment where all employees and members of the public feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the public and the communities in which we live and serve.Accommodation: If you are an individual who requires accommodation, due to disability under the Ontario Human Rights Code, to apply for this position, please email us at
firstname.lastname@example.org , quoting job ID #2327023 and the job classification title. The City is committed to providing Code-protected accommodation throughout its hiring process. Please visit Hiring Policies and Statements for further details.