- First Group
- Burlington, ON
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Labour & Employment Law
- Job Type
- Permanent, Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 1-3 years
Come join one of the largest transportation organizations in all of North America!
First Group America is currently hiring for a Labour Counsel for our Toronto/Burlington Region. This position defends the Company against legal liability in all employment-related matters including but not limited to discrimination complaints and provincial pay equity complaints. This position works closely with HR / Labor Relations leadership and other members of management team regarding labor and employment law matters. They also provide day-to-day advisory services to field operations management in Canada with respect to labour relations and employment law issues. They represent the Company before Provincial Local agencies, at arbitration and mediation, and in collective bargaining.
This is a great opportunity to enhance your skill set, grow and contribute with a dynamic company.
- Serves as chief negotiator in collective bargaining with a variety of unions for a variety of FGA operations within Canada.
- Reviews documents, interviews witnesses, reviews Company policies/labour contracts, and conducts legal analysis based upon facts of case necessary to prepare company defense/ response.
- Reviews charges of discrimination and pay equity, assesses company exposure to liability, and makes decisions on how case should be handled. Assigns outside counsel when appropriate. Communicates with Provincial Agencies as needed or appropriate.
- Prepares company response to include position statement, correspondence, affidavits, and other evidentiary documents.
- Provides guidance to field operations and RHRMs on what information/exhibits are needed to respond.
- Researches statutes, regulations, Company policies and labor contracts to evaluate causes of action and prepares defense of case accordingly.
- Assists all units of the Company and corporate management on specific employment law-related issues.
- Attends hearings and mediations as primary company advocate in a persuasive role.
- Exercises independent discretion when negotiating and preparing settlement agreements and release documents at hearings and mediations of discrimination complaints.
- Maintains record of all claims, dispositions, and settlements. Provides updated matrix and data information of all active complaints.
- Counsels and persuades all levels of management including field, on employment and/or provincial law, FirstGroup America policies, and appropriate application of same within our environment so that consistent employment decisions are made.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice
- Law Degree
- 2-4 years of legal experience, preferably in labour, employment and law. Solid understanding of laws within each province.
- Bilingual (English-French) preferred but not required.
- Computer proficiency.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently but also perform as a strong team player.
- Good administrative skills and superior interpersonal skills.
- Able to get along with diverse personalities. Tactful, mature, and flexible.
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing in a clear, concise, organized and persuasive manner.
This position also includes travel up to 75%
Apply/submit a resume today, for an exciting and challenging position within the First Family!
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer