- Toronto, ON
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Job Type
- Temporary, Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 1-3 years
Since 1997, the Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA) has delivered public safety services on behalf of the government of Ontario. Putting public safety first is not just our mandate it's our passion. Our people leave work every day knowing they've made a contribution to their community.
The TSSA is seeking a Legal Counsel to join our Legal team. This is a full time, 12-month maternity leave contract opportunity. External Applicant Closing Date: July 26 2019.
In this role you will report to the Assistant General Counsel providing legal advice and support to others concerning statutory interpretation, legal process, regulatory, administration and policy matters. Working closely with procurement department you will draft new or renew existing contracts. You will also assist General Counsel and Assistant General Counsel in a wide range of legal matters. This is a 12-month full-time, contract opportunity.
- Provides timely information to customers (e.g., providing legal advice and direction to management concerning corporate, commercial, regulatory and policy issues;); demonstrating TSSA’s corporate values; and adhering to and promoting ethical business practices
- Supports TSSA’s business and regulatory initiates by drafting and reviewing corporate contracts and other legal documentation; assisting management in resolving written regulatory appeals
- Shares expertise and best-practices (e.g., legal counsel, interpretation and recommendations to staff); participating in the training and development of others; and providing back-up for colleagues when necessary, including research and drafting for litigation matters
- Develops, shares, and applies business and technical knowledge; establishing personal networks; identifying opportunities for improvement at a personal and corporate level
- Provide legal advice to procurement, finance, inspection and engineering and other head office staff
- Requires 3-4 years of relevant solicitor experience.
- University degree and Law Society of Upper Canada Membership in good standing
- Advanced contract drafting skills.
- Legal analysis and research. Analytical problem-solving ranges from intermediate to complex.
- Communication: very strong written and technical presentations skills. Ability to understand and communicate complex technical concepts
- Expert knowledge of the statute and associated regulations administered by TSSA
- Advanced knowledge of negligence law, contract law, corporate commercial law and administrative law, constitutional / charter law
- Possesses business acumen: concepts, processes, policy development
- Skilled at customer and employee relationship management
- Strong attention to detail
- Demonstrates advanced problem-solving and analytical skills
- Highly organized
- Skilled at conflict resolution
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong interpersonal skills and professional presentation
- Customer relations experience
- Self-starter, possesses the ability to plan, organize and prioritize job tasks in order to meet tight deadlines
- Ability to respond effectively and professionally to changes in schedules and priorities
- Ability to ensure consistent attention to detail
- Ability to exercise discretion when dealing with sensitive information
- A positive, supportive and professional attitude
- Works effectively in a team environment exchanging information and innovative ideas
At TSSA, we value the diversity in our workplace and we are committed to employment equity. We encourage all qualified persons to apply. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are committed to creating and sustaining a collegial work environment in which all individuals are treated with dignity and respect. We provide any required accommodations for our applicants and employees. No matter which area you work in, you will collaborate with experts across diverse fields, backgrounds and cultures, expanding your knowledge and helping you realize your full potential.