JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) is a leading global financial services firm with assets of $2.6 trillion and operations worldwide. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers and small business, commercial banking, financial transaction processing, and asset management. A component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, JPMorgan Chase & Co. serves millions of consumers in the United States and many of the world's most prominent corporate, institutional and government clients under its J.P. Morgan and Chase brands. Information about JPMorgan Chase & Co. is available at http://www.jpmorganchase.com/.
The JPMorgan Chase Legal Department is responsible for providing legal services to the Corporation and is organized by practice groups that generally align with the Corporation’s lines of business and corporate staff areas. This structure encourages legal teams, businesses and staff areas to discuss legal, regulatory and business developments effectively and in a timely manner.
Merchant Services is a global leader in merchant acquiring services. Merchant Services provides payment processing and related services to merchants of all sizes in the United States, Canada and the European Union. With innovative services and products, Merchant Services is on the cutting edge of the payments industry.
JPMorgan Chase is currently searching for an Assistant General Counsel to support the Canadian Merchant Services business. The position will be located in Toronto, Ontario. The role will be reporting to the Assistant General Counsel of the Canadian Merchant Services legal group, and will be heavily focused on transactional work while still involving a wide range of general business legal work.
- Negotiating and drafting material customer contracts and other Merchant Services agreements.
- Coordinating with Legal Department members in other lines of business on a variety of legal, regulatory and business matters that may impact the business.
- Working closely with control and compliance officers that support Merchant Services.
- Advising business leaders on legal and business risks relating to customer support, sales, various marketing channels, product development, marketing, credit and risk, business initiatives and other matters.
- Counseling and advising the Merchant Services business team on legal, strategic and tactical issues relating to their business.
- Collaborating with other functional partners to ensure appropriate awareness and escalation of issues as they arise while being sensitive to confidentiality restrictions.
- Participating in cross line of business initiatives/practice groups as a subject matter expert.
In addition to the requisite legal credentials and experience, candidates should possess:
- Approximately 5 – 8 years of post-JD practicing experience in a law firm or in-house
- LL.B./J.D. or educational equivalent required. Candidates must be in compliance with all relevant licensing requirements including the requirements of the jurisdiction where the role will be located prior to commencement of employment.
- Strong legal and technical drafting skills
- Transactional and negotiating experience
- A proven ability to comfortably operate in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment
- The confidence to be outspoken when necessary
- Ability to find simple, workable solutions to complex problems.
- The perseverance and patience necessary to work through ambiguity and see a matter through to completion
- The ability to see past the question and understand the wider strategy
- The ability to think tactically to get to the best result for all parties
- Ability and willingness to engage at a granular level on matters requiring long-term focus on complex commercial transactions.
- Prior in-house experience and/or experience with financial services transactions would be a significant plus
- All candidates for roles in the Legal Department must successfully complete a conflicts of interest clearance review prior to commencement of employment.