- Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan
- Toronto, ON
- Lawyer - In House Counsel, Lawyer - Other
- Area of Practice
- Privacy Law
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 10+ years
The Director, Privacy Compliance is responsible for the organization’s Privacy Program including but not limited to daily operations of the program; privacy advisory services; development, implementation and maintenance of policies and procedures; privacy risk assessments; monitoring program compliance; training; investigation and tracking of incidents and breaches. The Director, Privacy Compliance will be involved in not only data security and privacy issues relating to member data but also on corporate and employee data and agreements with third-party business partners and the individual’s span of responsibility covers all OTPP offices (Toronto, London, Hong Kong).
Who you'll work with
You will provide advice across all business lines including senior management, security, procurement, and legal to establish governance for our privacy program. You will also have the opportunity to collaborate with the information security team to ensure alignment between security and privacy compliance program, including policies, practices, investigations, and act as a liaison to the information systems department.
What you'll do
- You will build a strategic and comprehensive privacy program that defines, develops, maintains and implements policies and processes that enable consistent, effective privacy practices which minimize risk, balance operational imperatives, and ensures the confidentiality of protected personal information across all media types.
- Serve in a leadership role for privacy compliance within the organization and as a thought leader in the industry representing OTPP in various forum.
- Initiate, facilitate and promote activities to champion information privacy awareness within OTPP and develop and implement standard methodologies.
- Perform initial and periodic information privacy risk assessments, analysis, mitigation and remediation.
- Lead, direct, deliver, initial and ongoing privacy training and orientation to all employees and other appropriate third parties.
- Take a lead role, to ensure the organization has and maintains appropriate privacy and confidentiality consents, authorization forms and information notices and materials reflecting current organization and legal practices and requirements.
- Establish and administer a process for receiving, documenting, tracking, investigating, and taking action on all complaints concerning OTPP’s privacy policies and procedures or privacy breaches in coordination with other similar functions and, when necessary external legal counsel.
- Establish, with information security, an ongoing process to track, investigate, and report on inappropriate disclosure of information within OTPP’s custody and control.
- Serve as an information privacy resource to the organization regarding release of information and to all departments for all privacy related issues.
- Maintain current knowledge of applicable Canadian and international privacy laws and related case law developments.
- Monitor advancements in information privacy technologies to ensure organizational awareness, adaptation and compliance where applicable
- Report on a periodic basis regarding the status of the privacy program to the Board, CEO or other responsible individual or committee.
- You will have decision-making authority for privacy matters and be the subject matter expert in this area within Corporate Affairs. Decisions carry the weight of the Legal Compliance department and are binding
- Accountable to deliver on integrated advisory services as part of Corporate Affairs’ strategic objective to deliver a “one stop shop” experience to clients. As a senior leader within the team, you will be expected to model behavior across the division that is consistent with our values and operating principles.
What you'll need
- 10 – 15 years of relevant experience
- LLB, membership with the Law Society of Upper Canada.
- CIPF (Certified Information Privacy Professional) and CIPM (Certified Information Privacy Manager) an asset
- Expert knowledge of relevant privacy laws, regulations and standards
- Understanding of IT and data management systems to ensure proper security systems are in place to protect personal information
- Knowledge in and the ability to apply the principles of change management and project management
- Demonstrated organization, facilitation, communication and presentation skills
- Demonstrated experience and skills in collaboration, teamwork, and problem solving to achieve strategic objectives
- Strong communication and listening skills and in providing excellent client service
- Experience in policy development, training and crisis management
What we're offering
- Pay for performance environment that offers competitive salary and incentives
- Numerous opportunities for professional growth and development
- Comprehensive employer paid benefits coverage, including a Health Spending Account
- Guaranteed retirement income through a defined benefit pension plan
- Competitive time off
- Discount programs including Edvantage and Perkopolis
At Ontario Teachers', diversity is one of our core strengths. We are a globally minded organization and take pride ensuring that the people we hire and the culture we create reflect and celebrate diversity of thought, background and experience.
Accommodations are available upon request for candidates with a disability taking part in the recruitment process and once hired.
How to apply
If you are interested in exploring this exciting opportunity, please provide a detailed cover letter and resume highlighting your experience. A detailed position profile highlighting key competencies will be provided to all candidates under consideration via our recruitment agency partner.
We thank you for applying, however, only those selected to continue will be contacted. Note that candidates must be legally entitled to work in the country where this role is located.