Putting people first, every day
BDO is a firm built on a foundation of positive relationships with our people and our clients. Each day, we rely on our professionals to provide exceptional service, and help our clients by providing advice and insight they can trust. In turn, we offer an environment that fosters a people-first culture with a high priority on your personal and professional growth.
Our Toronto office is looking for a Legal Assistant to join our BDO Law team and own the following responsibilities:
- Provide general administrative support to the Corporate Law's team of clerks and lawyers in a fast paced, dynamic and team oriented environment.
- Administrative support, including opening and closing files, docketing, billing, conducting conflict checks, scheduling meetings and maintaining lawyers’ and clerks’ calendars
- Assist lawyers and clerks with document preparation, formatting, execution and filings
- Compose general correspondence, memos to file and other material with limited guidance
- Maintain filing system (open new files/close files/ensure that daily filing is kept up to date)
- Respond efficiently to inquiries and requests, prioritizing work based on level of urgency, and communicating timing expectations to individual assigning work
- Answer telephones, screens and re-routes calls
- Liaise with clients, auditors and other third parties to gather information, for examination and review of corporate records and prepare packages to be sent by courier
- Accounts: printing of pre-bills and reports; entering of time dockets; making changes/corrections of time entries; liaise with accounting department to ensure that bills are prepared according to instructions and prepare expense reports
How do we define success for your role?
- You demonstrate BDO's core values through all aspect of your work: Integrity, Respect and Collaboration
- You understand your client’s industry, challenges, and opportunities; client describe you as positive, professional, and delivering high quality work
- You identify, recommend, and are focused on effective service delivery to your clients
- You share in an inclusive and engaging work environment that develops, retains and attracts talent
- You actively participate in the adoption of digital tools and strategies to drive an innovative workplace
- You grow your expertise through learning and professional development
Your experience and education
- You have a minimum of 2-5 years’ previous experience in a legal environment
- You are proficient with MS Office applications, particularly Microsoft Word
- You have a strong proficiency with Adobe
- You have exceptional organizational/document management skills with a strong attention to detail is essential
- You are highly motivated and enthusiastic with a demonstrated ability prioritize multiple assignments
- You are a critical thinker with a high level of initiative, while being able to proactively solve problems
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- You are a flexible team player who is client service oriented with ability to deliver superior standard of service
- You are comfortable with a paperless environment for organizing and managing legal files and corporate records
Our firm is committed to providing an environment where you can be successful in the following ways:
- Firm success - We enable you to engage with the firm's strategic plan, and be a key contributor to the success and growth of the firm.
- Professional success - We help you be the best professional you can be in our services, industries and markets.
- Personal success - Achieve your personal goals outside of the office and make an impact on your community.
Giving back, it adds up: Where company meets community. BDO is actively involved in our communities by supporting local charity initiatives. We support staff with local and national events where you will be given the opportunity to contribute to your community.
Total rewards that matter: We pay for performance with competitive total cash compensation that recognizes and rewards your contribution. We provide flexible benefits from day one, and flexible time off through vacation, personal, and volunteer days. We are committed to supporting your overall wellness beyond working hours, and provide reimbursement for wellness initiatives that fit your lifestyle.
Everyone counts: We believe every employee should have the opportunity to participate and succeed. Through leadership by our Chief Inclusion and Diversity Officer, we are committed to a workplace culture of respect, inclusion, and diversity. We recognize and celebrate the valuable differences among each of us, including race, religious beliefs, physical or mental disabilities, age, place of origin, marital status, family status, gender or gender identity and sexual orientation. If you require accommodation to complete the application process, please contact us.
Ready to make your mark at BDO? Click “Apply now” to send your up-to-date resume to one of our Talent Acquisition Specialists.