Senior Legal Admin Assistant - Administrative & Public Law
- Gowling WLG
- Ottawa, ON
- Legal Assistant
- Area of Practice
- Administrative Law
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- College diploma
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
At Gowling WLG, our dedication to excellence and quality service begins with our people. As a global law firm with offices across Canada, the U.K., Europe, the Middle East and Asia, we pride ourselves on sourcing and retaining top talent who bring energy, passion and commitment to the delivery of outstanding client service.
When it comes to diversity, we not only accept it — we celebrate it, support it and thrive on it. To create an engaging and rewarding place to work, we seek to attract talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures. Our aim is to help everyone reach their full potential and achieve their personal and professional goals.
Employee satisfaction is important to us. We work hard to ensure that our people are motivated, engaged and empowered. Our diverse group of legal professionals, law students, law clerks/paralegals, legal administrative assistants and business support staff work together as a team, and are respected and valued for their individual contributions.
Working within our Advocacy group with a focus on Administrative & Public Law, the successful candidate will perform full legal administrative work of a responsible and confidential nature for one or more professionals.
- Organizing and expediting the flow of work through the professional's practice, initiating any follow-up action as appropriate.
- Accurately preparing legal documents and correspondence with minimal direction.
- Transcribing and typing legal documents and correspondence.
- Liaising between the legal professionals and various internal and external individuals, groups, senior government officials, politicians and clients at all levels.
- Working proactively in the day to day support of the professional's practice.
- Using initiative and good judgment to relieve the professional of administrative detail.
- Managing the professional’s calendar including travel arrangements. Liaising with clients.
- Preparing, scheduling, and organizing meeting and briefing materials for the professional and file management.
- Supporting and monitoring billing matters and undertaking of administrative tasks.
- Administrative Assistant or Legal Administrative Assistant Diploma coupled with a minimum of five years’ experience in a law firm or senior administrative role in the Senate or House of Commons.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Knowledge of legal practice requirements, related programs and government relations/lobbying, work experience on Parliament Hill, is an asset.
- Good keyboarding skills are required.
- Aptitude to take care of clients’ needs in a professional and courteous manner.
- Capacity to work independently, as well as in a team environment.
- Strong written, oral and verbal communication skills. Bilingualism (French/English) is an asset.
- Ability to multi task within a fast paced environment.
Gowling WLG is proud to offer equal employment opportunities.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know.
While we appreciate all applications received, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.