- YM Inc.
- Toronto, ON
- Law Clerk
- Area of Practice
- Commercial Real Estate Law
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- College diploma
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 1-3 years
YM Inc. was founded on the strength of a single retail store in the heart of downtown Toronto in 1975, under the name Stitches. Today we are one of North America’s leading apparel retailers operating over 600 stores across Canada and the United States under the following banners: Stitches, Urban Planet, Urban Behavior, Sirens, West 49, Urban Kids, Suzy Shier, and Bluenotes.
The Law Clerk is responsible for performing legal and clerical duties, primarily in the areas of real estate and leasing, insurance, intellectual property, human rights, and general corporate and commercial law. This includes assisting with the preparation of legal documents and correspondence, maintaining status reports and tracking the progress of various matters. This role will deal with daily correspondence, processing of leasing documents and other agreements, forms and reports and execution of other general duties
- Maintain files to ensure that information is current and up to date
- Review business term sheets and identify appropriate precedent documents and clauses
- Review first draft of legal documents, including leases and other agreements
- Preparing subsequent drafts or summaries of documents based upon instructions from General Counsel
- Conduct lease reviews on a regular basis
- Prepare and maintain regular reports relating to the status of lease and other negotiations
- Maintain a diary and filing system to ensure appropriate follow up and retrieval of documentation
- Compose, type, distribute and file correspondence
- Updating and maintaining precedent files
- Communicating with other departments and parties on a regular basis
- Collaborate with Legal, Real Estate, Insurance and Finance teams to ensure proper reporting, up to date files, etc.
- Performing administrative duties, including typing, photocopying, scanning, organizing and maintaining files
- Assist with all other legal and administrative duties while coordinating and assisting General Counsel with assigned matters
- Prioritize large workload to meet deadlines
- Post-Secondary education in a Law Clerk Program or equivalent
- At least 3 years’ working experience in Leasing, Commercial Real Estate, Commercial Law or a related field
- Superior knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Prior exposure to Leasing/or Commercial Real Estate a must
YM Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals. We thank all applicants for their interest: However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If chosen to participate in the selection process, accommodations are available upon request. We will consult with the applicant to provide or arrange suitable accommodation in a manner that takes into account the applicant’s accessibility needs.