Senior M&A Underwriter
- Toronto, ON
- Lawyer - In House Counsel, Lawyer - Other
- Area of Practice
- Mergers & Acquisitions, Banking & Finance
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
AIG Canada is part of American International Group, Inc. a global insurance solutions provider serving more than 90 million clients in 80 countries and jurisdictions, with the support of over 48,000 employees worldwide.
For over 50 years, AIG Insurance Company of Canada (AIG Canada) has been a national leader of insurance solutions within Canada. AIG Canada provides a wide range of business and consumer products through a large network of independent brokers and direct to consumers. With a workforce of approximately 430 dedicated insurance professionals, AIG Canada prides itself upon our innovative insurance products, underwriting expertise, and exceptional claims service. We are headquartered in Toronto, with additional offices in Vancouver and Montreal.
Your contribution at AIG
As a member of the America’s regional team, you will be responsible for overseeing structuring, underwriting and negotiation of transactional insurance solutions, including representations and warranties insurance, tax liability insurance, and contingent liability insurance. You will also participate in the marketing of transactional insurance to brokers, private equity firms, law firms, investment banks, accounting firms, consulting firms, and prospective clients. You will be responsible to manage a team of qualified Underwriters whom are involved in all aspects of the technical underwriting of insurable risks as they relate to corporate Mergers and Acquisition (M&A) transactions, including preparation of deal documents, and the development of relationships with M&A source producers that include brokers, lawyers, and private equity fund principals.
As a Leader, you are respected for your deep technical expertise and/or ability to oversee programs and processes. You balance the needs of multiple stakeholders, making sound decisions using data, analysis, experience, and judgment, along with a risk mindset. Ultimately, you take ownership for key outcomes.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct background research on the parties to a transaction and the industries in which they operate;
- Review and understand the client's motivation for requesting the insurance coverage, the role the insurance is playing in the transaction, and the value of the insurance to the transaction;
- Review and understand the agreements and other documentation relevant to the analysis and assessment of the risk;
- Analyze and assess the underlying risk in accordance with the relevant product line policies and procedures;
- Manage a team of Underwriters, lead, train, and provide guidance as it relates to corporate M&A transactions, including preparation of deal documents and development of relationships with source producers
- Prepare and negotiate non-binding indication letters, insurance policies and binder agreements.
- Interact with clients, client’s advisors, brokers and other deal professionals;
- Participate on underwriting conference calls;
- Manage the underwriting process and, in cooperation with the legal department, the selection of and work performed by outside counsel;
- Present preliminary findings and conclusions to senior underwriters and management; and
- Participate in the execution of the Group’s relationship development and marketing plan, including the development and preparation of presentation, marketing and informational materials.
What we are looking for
- 5 to 7 years of experience in M&A Legal, Corporate Finance or other relevant business;
- Experience within the Insurance sector or other Financial Institutions;
- General knowledge of and ability to comprehend financial statements, financial reports, and commercial reports;
- Competency in preparing legal documents and presentations i.e. PowerPoint and Excel;
- People management experience;
- Highly focused, enthusiastic and creative thinker;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to collaboratively work on a global basis;
- Ability to be a self-starter and work independently; and
- Bilingual French and English is an asset.
AIG Employer Spotlight
Did you know, AIG Canada is the proud recipient of the Top Employers for Young People award in 2019, and recently named Top GTA Employer for 2019.
AIG Canada offers numerous programs and policies to attract and retain talent, such as: Formal Mentorship Program, Tuition Reimbursement, Employee Resource Groups, Flexible Working Arrangements, Early Career Development Programs, Generous Paid Time Off, Global Mobility, and Pension & Savings Plan Eligibility from Day One.
Careers at AIG are as diverse as its people. At AIG, we value diversity in all its forms, from backgrounds and skills to new ideas and thinking styles. Our commitment to diversity and inclusion is visible in all aspects of our organization. Experience the AIG movement, and join our exciting team!
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission – creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives.