Heart and Stroke is a special type of organization. We’re a foundation, a place that values championing health and has a bias for action as we tackle heart disease and stroke. Our mission is to promote health, save lives and enhance recovery. We do so by raising funds to support critical research, and by helping people reduce their risk of heart disease, stroke, and vascular cognitive impairment through risk factor awareness, promoting healthy lifestyles and advocating for healthy public policy. Six core values unite us: Champion Health, Practice Humility, Embrace Change, Drive Impact, Learn & Grow and Be Heartfelt.
Who we need
Reporting to our General Counsel, we are adding a Manager, Estates Administration to the team. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of the legal group at a national nonprofit foundation to oversee the administration of all bequests, charitable gift annuities, life insurance policies, charitable remainder trusts and other legacy gifts. They are responsible for the oversight of an efficient estates administration process and system and monitoring the estate revenue stream to ensure targets are met.
Working with the General Counsel and the Legacy advisor to resolve any legacy related disputes and litigation and the Legacy advisor team to support the overall success of the Legacy program, we want a self-driven, highly motivated Manager, Estates Administration who is collaborative; organized; efficient; process-oriented and someone who excels at facilitating communication and ensuring all requirements are satisfied and has a deep understanding of Estate law and processes. Enjoys managing staff who deal with a significant value ($20M+ annually) and complexity of this portfolio.
What’s in it for you?
National impact. You will have the chance to create and implement processes and best practices for one of the biggest non-profit groups in the country and oversee a core source of foundation revenue. You want to take ownership of a team of professionals and improve and streamline processes.
Empowerment. You will have the autonomy and the creative freedom to plan ahead, to be proactive and to create and optimize processes. You want the rare chance to put your stamp on projects.
Who you are
You may be a Paralegal, Trustee, Law Clerk, Trust Administrator with estates experience. Either way, you want to apply your knowledge and expertise in a different way, at a non-profit with a national scope. You may be building out your career looking for that next step. You have great sound judgment, are incredibly organized, and collaborative. You are self-motivated and you love to take action on detailed plans.
How you will make an impact every day. You will:
- Estates Program Management. You will:
- Oversee the estates administration programs, including resolving contentious issues within estate matters
- Coordinate with Senior Manager, Legacy to define metrics to help determine future pipeline growth and setting best practices for stewardship moves
- Collaborate with legacy giving team to transition potential expectants from estates to legacy appropriately
- Develop and implement standard policies and ensure approved releases are consistent with the terms of the will and provincial legislation
- Strategic Estate Program Development. You will:
- Work closely with Finance and Legacy team to develop strategies to improve reporting, predict future revenue streams and budgets and improve bequest realization
- Program Administration. You will:
- Provide organizational leadership on managing estate files and gifts, life insurance, annuities, trusts and residual interest and property
- Review legal documentation and make decisions in compliance to legal requirements, Public Trustee regulations and family and estate law
- Collaborate with Legacy Advisors to seek opportunities for stewardship and engagement of NOK based on established best practices
- Prepare legal releases, data entry, routine banking management, and liaising with internal and external stakeholders
- Talent Management. You will:
- Lead talent development to ensure staff is well supported in fulfilling their accountabilities and achieving their career potential
- Ensure clear direction on business goals and priorities
- Build and develop cohesive lateral relationships cross functionally
- Comply with all HSF policies to ensure accurate administration of employee related information
What you bring:
- The education and experience. You may have a Law Clerk Diploma or a Paralegal degree or comparable post-secondary education relevant to estate administration. You also have 5-7 years of relevant in law firm or equivalent estates management experience managing a team of administrators or law clerks.
- Exposure to a non-profit organization is helpful but not required.
- The efficiency. You have exceptional ability to design work-flows and processes, and the drive to see projects completed in a timely manner
- The initiative. You thrive in an autonomous role, yet you are equally comfortable collaborating and managing a team to inspire high performance
- The communication skills. You have outstanding interpersonal skills and the ability to work with lawyers and contribute positively to the stewardship process. You also have sound business acumen and can compose highly effective written work and correspondence.
- The technical skills. You have expertise with Office 365 and Microsoft Office. You also have experience with data processing software
- The collaboration skills. Superior ability to work with others, manage a team of people and inspire a high level of performance
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume, cover letter and salary expectations using the Apply button. We offer comprehensive benefits including pension, dental and medical coverage.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please include the exact job title, including location, in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, due to volume, we can only contact those selected for interviews.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca
™Life. We don’t want you to miss it., Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives., and the heart and / Icon on its own or followed by another icon or words in English are trademarks of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.