- Hamilton Health Sciences
- Hamilton, ON
- Hourly $42.3700 - $54.3200
- Law Clerk, Lawyer - Other, Paralegal
- Area of Practice
- Contract Law
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- University degree
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 1-3 years
The Population Health Research Institute (PHRI) is a joint institute of Hamilton Health Sciences and McMaster University, with over 300 employees working directly with 49 researchers. PHRI conducts clinical research internationally in 101 countries and is a world leader in large, global health and population and health outcomes research. Our capacity to conduct multiple international studies concurrently, with tens of thousands of participants in each, is a capability very few organizations in the world can match.
- Provide contract negotiation and support for all research and business activities at PHRI. Work is assigned to member of the Contracts Team based on complexity and expertise.
- Manage and process a high volume of complex research contracts with global partners in over 100 countries, e.g. clinical trial agreements, service contracts, licensing, research collaboration, data usage and funding agreements.
- Review, draft, analyze and negotiate contract terms with academic institutions, healthcare organizations, industry partners, funding organizations and other entities. In consultation with the Legal Counsel & Director of Contracts, provide guidance on legal obligations and potential risk exposure to researchers and study team staff.
- Work independently and collaboratively within a busy client-centered environment, seeking direction from Legal Counsel & Director of Contracts where necessary, and receiving input from client groups
- Participate in the development of negotiations strategies, review tools and policies for contract lifecycle management
- Other duties as assigned.
Monday – Friday, days
- Possess either: an undergraduate degree and at least 2 years previous experience in understanding, interpreting, negotiating and drafting agreements, and strong knowledge of contract law and risk assessment; OR a law degree or law clerk designation and related experience
- Excellent drafting and negotiation skills, including superior English language (reading, writing and oral) communication skills
- Experience in or in-depth exposure to academic research, university, hospital and/or clinical trial research environment
- Ability to manage and prioritize many projects simultaneously; to efficiently communicate, write, edit, research, analyze, negotiate and problem solve; and to effectively interpret contract clauses and clarify associated risks for clients
- Proficient in examining details without losing sight of the overall objectives of the stakeholders
- Diplomacy, flexibility and solid interpersonal skills to interact with diverse personalities in a fast-paced and demanding work environment
Hamilton Health Sciences fosters a culture of patient and staff safety, whereby all employees are guided by our Mission, Vision, Values, and Values Based Code of Conduct. Hamilton Health Sciences is a teaching hospital and all staff and physicians are expected to support students and other learners.
To be considered for this opportunity applicants must apply during the posting period. All internal and external applicants may ONLY apply via the Careers website.
Hamilton Health Sciences is an equal opportunity employer and we will accommodate any needs under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Hiring processes will be modified to remove barriers to accommodate those with disabilities, if requested. Should any applicant require accommodation through the application processes, please contact HR Services at 905-521-2100, Ext. 46947 for assistance. If the applicant requires a specific accommodation because of a disability during an interview, the applicant will need to advise the hiring manager when scheduling the interview and the appropriate accommodations can be made.
This competition is open to all qualified applicants, however, qualified internal applicants will be considered first. Past performance will be considered as part of the selection process. If you are a previous employee of Hamilton Health Sciences, please note: the circumstances around an employee's exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment