The Paralegal will be a professional staff member of the EY Law Business Immigration Group, working in affiliation with EY.
Your key responsibilities
The primary role of the Paralegal is to support the team of immigration lawyers by drafting immigration applications for individuals seeking permission to work or live in Canada; and to coordinate tracking status expiration dates for ongoing clients.
Communication with Clients and Professional Staff:
- Speak with HR representatives of corporate clients and employees (applicants) to obtain information to assist in drafting applications
- Follow up with applicants and HR contacts to obtain copies of visas/documents
- Ensure that lawyers are at all times advised of client related issues that come to the attention of the law clerk
- Participate actively in meetings of the professional staff of EY Law
- Learn basic immigration processing categories and requirements for each category
- On instruction from the lawyer, research current processing requirements at service centres/consulates etc.
- Collect information from HR contact and applicant
- Using available resources, draft complete application packages for review by the supervising lawyer
- Make revisions to drafts
- Ensure that applications are filed in a timely manner
- Meet with lawyers to discuss questions raised by the client and then relate information back to the HR contact/applicant
- Draft emails in response to queries by clients
- Delegate appropriate work to legal assistants, such as: typing of forms, copying of documents, and sending out packages
- Follow up with immigration authorities on pending applications
- Enter expiration dates for applicants' status in tracking system
- Notify clients of upcoming extensions
- Keep individual client status charts updated (where required)
Skills and attributes for success
- Must be highly organized and have the ability to communicate effectively
- Excellent writing skills
- Strong attention to detail
To qualify for the role you must have
- Undergraduate University Degree, College Diploma, or equivalent experience
- 2+ years of Canadian Business Immigration experience
- Experience with temporary foreign workers, including Labour Market Impact Assessments, BC Provincial Nominee Program, and Express Entry permanent residence
What we look for
We’re interested in strong team players who support their colleagues in reaching their goals while also considering their own workload and development. If you have the confidence to speak up and influence a team that affects big businesses worldwide, this role is for you.
What working at EY offers
At EY, our Total Rewards package supports our commitment to creating a leading people culture - built on high-performance teaming - where everyone can achieve their potential and contribute to building a better working world for our people, our clients and our communities. It's one of the many reasons we repeatedly win awards for being a great place to work.
We offer a competitive compensation package where you’ll be rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you bring to our business. In addition, our Total Rewards package allows you decide which benefits are right for you and which ones help you create a solid foundation for your future. Our Total Rewards package includes a comprehensive medical, prescription drug and dental coverage, a defined contribution pension plan, a great vacation policy plus firm paid days that allow you to enjoy longer long weekends throughout the year, statutory holidays and paid personal days (based on province of residence), and a range of exciting programs and benefits designed to support your physical, financial and social well-being. Plus, we offer:
- Support and coaching from some of the most engaging colleagues in the industry
- Learning opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
- The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that’s right for you
As a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services, we’re using the finance products, expertise and systems we’ve developed to build a better working world. That starts with a culture that believes in giving you the training, opportunities and creative freedom to make things better. Whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime. Recognized as one of Canada's top employers, EY continually strives to be a great place to work
If you can confidently demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible.
Make your mark. Apply today.
EY is committed to inclusiveness, equity and accessibility. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply.