Legal Assistant, Financial Services (18-Month Contract)
Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP (Blakes), one of Canada’s largest and most successful law firms, is currently looking for a Legal Assistant to provide support to the Financial Services group in the Toronto office. This position is an 18-month contract.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Billing – Reviewing, editing and saving bills for lawyers; making appropriate changes for processing bills and sending out electronically
- Administrative Duties – Maintaining physical and electronic files; scheduling and booking meetings, travel arrangements, scanning and printing documents and planning Firm and external conferences, dinners and client business development events
- Docketing – Entering, editing and closing dockets
- Expenses – Completing expenses on a monthly basis; entering expenses for all professional organizations (i.e., CFLA, ACCFL, ELFA, SFIG, etc.)
- Legal Duties – Opening new matters and conflicts, filing, entering Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours, preparing record books
- Extracurricular Activities – Assisting with course lectures for lawyers: editing lecture slides, printing and organizing materials, course site set-up and maintenance, posting readings and lecture notes on university portal and communicating with university staff for class set-up
- Legal assistant diploma or equivalent
- Experience supporting legal professionals in a corporate work environment
- Financial services experience is an asset but not required
- Proficiency in CMS and Microsoft Office applications such as Word and Excel
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, with the ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Extremely well organized with superb attention to detail and excellent time-management skills
- Proven ability to work under pressure, manage multiple priorities and work within tight deadlines
- Exceptional customer-service orientation – courteous, responsive and delivers with a sense of urgency
- Tech-savvy and willing to learn and adapt to new technologies as required
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, please submit your application and include your cover letter and résumé directly to our application portal.
Blakes wishes to thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Who We Are:
At Blakes, we care about our people. We are committed to providing exceptional experiences for not only our clients, but also our employees by fostering an open and inclusive workplace culture. As a winner of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers and Greater Toronto’s Top Employers awards, we understand the importance of fostering an environment that brings out the best in each person. Our success as a firm starts with the hiring, development and retention of top talent.
Blakes welcomes applications from all qualified applicants. The Firm is committed to maintaining an inclusive work environment composed of people with diverse perspectives, backgrounds, identities and cultures.
The Firm provides accommodation for applicants with disabilities during the recruitment process in accordance with applicable laws. Please contact us to request accommodation.