Legal Counsel, Litigation and Administrative Law
- City of Brampton
- Brampton, ON
- $126,970.00 - $142,842.00
- Lawyer - In House Counsel, Lawyer - Public Sector
- Area of Practice
- Civil Litigation Law, Municipal Law, Planning and Development Law
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 1-3 years
Reporting to the Deputy City Solicitor, Litigation and Administrative Law this position:
- Represents the City in litigation and land use planning and development appeals before the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal and other courts and tribunals as necessary;
- Commences and negotiates dispute resolutions that are in best interests of City;
- Assists in drafting and interpreting By-Laws and agreements to mitigate risk to the Corporation;
- Undertakes special projects and initiatives in furtherance of the Corporation’s legal direction and strategic objectives.
- Demonstrates a willingness to share understanding of legislative frameworks, municipal obligations and objectives and advise on policy initiatives;
- Attends at Council and Council Committee meetings as required;
- Provides legal support to City departments to keep the City secured in its legal position and obligations and achieve appropriate solutions for the City;
- Delivers competent legal services working in multidisciplinary teams with Legal Services staff and other Departments as required.
- Law degree and call to Ontario Bar, with demonstrated interest in civil litigation, administrative tribunal hearings, planning and municipal law
- Member in good standing with the Law Society of Upper Canada
- 3-5 years related work experience, preferably in the Municipal field
- Exceptional communication skills and superior report writing
- Ability to prepare and successfully negotiate resolutions and solid arguments
- Computer proficiency in MS Office suite software and on line legal research
As part of the corporation’s Modernizing Job Evaluation project, this position will undergo an evaluation which may result in a change to the rate of compensation. Any changes affecting this position will be communicated as information becomes available.
Exciting things are happening at the City of Brampton. Watch our Join Our Team video to hear what our employees say about working here. For insight about Brampton’s future, take a peek at what renowned urban planner Larry Beasley has to say.
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.