- Toronto, ON
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Mergers & Acquisitions, Banking & Finance
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
At IMCO, our talent is among the best! IMCO offers a uniquely stimulating and rewarding environment where you can help build and drive organizational transformation, all while seeking to challenge yourself, learn, and grow your career.
We offer a culture of collaboration and passion, creating unwavering value for the clients we serve. Our vision is to be the partner of choice for Ontario’s public sector funds and build a high-performing, value-based Asset Management firm in the heart of downtown Toronto.
If you are ready to drive best-in-class service, and join a collaborative, motivated, and fun team of professionals, we’re ready to offer you a great place to work with exciting opportunities for growth and development.
If you want to use your expertise to drive strategic business outcomes, then we want you at IMCO!
IMCO is looking for a highly motivated Senior Associate, Legal to join our team!
As a key member of our legal team, the Senior Associate, Legal will be responsible for supporting and advising on a wide range of investment and corporate matters, such as investment products and strategies, public and private investment transactions, derivatives, governance, policy development, commercial agreements, and compliance.
Reporting to the Vice President, Legal, this role requires a candidate to collaborate with positions across various departments within the organization as well as engage with external counsel and other stakeholders outside the organization.
As a Member of Our Team, You Will be Responsible For:
- Assisting and advising on the development of IMCO investment products and investment strategies and polices.
- Assisting and advising on derivative matters and structured investment products.
- Working with IMCO’s investment professionals to analyze, structure and negotiate a variety of legal documents with respect to global public and private investment transactions, including fund investments, co-investments and direct investments in different asset classes including real estate, infrastructure, private equity, hedge funds and credit.
- Advise on Board and committee matters and corporate policies.
- Assist with the on-boarding of new IMCO clients.
- Assist with regulatory and day-to-day enterprise matters across multiple jurisdictions. Support corporate projects for the organization, including managing cross-functional stakeholders.
- Act as a trusted advisor to business units to assess and mitigate risks of various types.
What do you need to succeed?
- 5-7 years of M&A, Corporate Finance or Investment Management experience gained at a major law firm or as In-House Legal Counsel; experience with derivatives investing would be an asset.
- Law degree (J.D. or LL.B.) from an accredited law school; MBA or CFA designation would be an asset.
- Call to the Ontario Bar and member in good standing with the Law Society of Upper Canada.
- Broad general corporate/commercial knowledge.
- Specialized knowledge pertaining to pubic and private investment transactions, investment products, asset management and derivatives.
- Ability to lead and supervise work projects from a legal perspective and involve, instruct and manage external counsel as required.
- Well-established interpersonal relationship building skills and a desire to work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders.
- Highly motivated team player with a proven ability to manage several different priorities at one time.
- Ability to think creatively through sophisticated investment transactions and structures.
- Excellent legal and business judgment.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
What IMCO Can Offer You:
We thrive on the challenge to be our best, to deliver an unparalleled employee experience and to work as one team to continuously improve the management of broader public-sector investment funds. In addition to offering a competitive salary and comprehensive benefit package, we pride ourselves on helping you reach your potential, making a difference in our communities, and achieving success that is mutual.