At the heart of CSA Group is a vision: making the world a better, safer, more sustainable place. It's been part of our mission for nearly one hundred years: from the first engineering standard for railway bridges developed in 1919, to more than 3,500 standards, codes & related products today.
Headquartered in Canada, with a global footprint of more than 30 labs and offices across Europe, Asia and North America, CSA Group tests, inspects and certifies a wide range of products - from every day househould items to leading edge technology-to meet exacting requirements for safety, performance and environmental impact.
Our employees take pride in making a difference in people's lives through the work that we do. We're looking for people like you to help make it happen.
Under guidance of counsel this role will be responsible for the following:
- Managing CSA Group’s Trade-mark and Copyright portfolios;
- Implementation and oversight of CSA Group’s Contract Management system;
- Managing departmental records retention schedule and practices;
- Managing file intake and allocation system, including handling queries and reviews personally as needed and as appropriate; and
- Litigation support
Principal duties and responsibilities:
Trade-mark and Copyright Portfolio:
- Manages approximately 150 trade-mark registrations in 20 different jurisdictions. Develops and maintains tickler system. Coordinates trade-mark oppositions under supervision of counsel and working with international agents. This includes file research; internal and external information-gathering; and may include preparing affidavits (under supervision).
- Support the deployment of the contract management system including transition of legacy contracts as-needed, extraction of key terms and metadata for population in user-facing screen; and promoting the implementation of the system for new files within the legal department and throughout the organization.
- Routine contract/document review and response under supervision of counsel.
- Develop and deploy, under supervision of counsel, an annual, by-annual or quarterly records management cycle for the legal team.
- Under supervision of counsel, occasionally involving direct contact with external counsel, prepares and implements project plans and budgets; assists with litigation holds and electronic data retention/ discovery; drafting letters and other communications.
Point of contact for incoming files. First response to routine queries
Education and Experience:
- Post-secondary education in College; recognized paralegal or law clerk program including IP training/exposure
- Degree (BA, BAH) would be considered an asset
- Minimum 7 years of experience
- Experience with contracts, trade-marks and related concepts and terminology
- Proficiency in the MS Windows environment, including the full suite of Microsoft products
- Excellent communication, teamwork and client-service skills with a positive attitude
- Ability to manage projects, including scheduling. Excellent time management skills. Multi-tasking under strict deadlines
- Professional demeanor and demonstrated ability to interact well with all levels of staff, with tact, discretion and diplomacy
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to function independently, with minimal guidance, but to recognize the need for supervision from counsel where appropriate
- Strong work ethic and commitment to excellence
- Demonstrated problem-solving and organizational skills as well as the ability to anticipate needs, think logically, analytically and creatively while maintaining accuracy and attention to detail
- Some data entry required as part of file intake and contract lifecycle management system software
- French or German language skills would be considered an asset