As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
Job Description and Responsibilities
· Provide advice and counsel to business line and management on (a) transactional legal matters, (b) Visa products and services (e.g. emerging segments, value-added services including consulting, debit, loyalty), (c) proposed corporate actions and projects (e.g. RFP responses, co-brand deals), and (d) various regulatory matters (Anti-Money Laundering, Anti-Bribery, FCAC)
· Draft, negotiate, and review commercial contracts and other legally binding documents (such as participation agreements and SOWs)
· Provide advice and counsel in the interpretation and enforcement of contracts
· Provide broad regulatory support to evaluate how shifts in the regulatory landscape at both the federal and provincial level may impact Visa and its partners
· Draft and coordinate company responses to government consultations and regulatory rulemaking
· Provide advice and counsel in the drafting, interpretation, and enforcement of Visa By-Laws and Core Rules, including issue spotting for Canadian legal issues with respect to Canadian and Global product risk assessments, Rules proposals and subsequent client communications
· Manage various internal processes related to new business initiatives
· Review externally facing documentation for compliance with securities laws; disclosure policies; data use policies and requirements; Competition law issues; etc.
· Where required, coordinate and supervise outside counsel for timeliness, cost-effectiveness, and excellence of service and work product
· Ontario bar membership in good standing
· 6+ years of legal experience-law firm and/or in house (ideally combination of both)
· Transactional background (corporate, commercial arrangements) with significant experience drafting and negotiating a wide array of commercial agreements
· Experience in the payments, technology or financial industry preferred
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
· Exceptional analytical and advocacy skills
· Demonstrated ability to drive execution in a team environment, integrating legal advice and business knowledge while providing balanced advice regarding risks and benefits
· Developed business acumen, with ability to understand the company's business interests and anticipate the nature and magnitude of issues that could arise in various settings
· Practical and proactive problem-solver; confident, mature, calm under fire, with a positive attitude
· Strong work ethic for a fast-paced environment
· Must be able to multitask and manage a significant workload and a number of clients with minimal supervision
· Some travel outside of Canada may be required
- Incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours
- This position requires
- This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.