- CB2 Insights
- Mississauga, ON
- Lawyer - In House Counsel, General Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Corporate/Commercial Law
- Job Type
- Permanent, Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
CB2 Insights is looking for an experienced, energetic and business-minded General Counsel to manage the organization’s legal affairs and act as a guardian of the Company. The ideal candidate is self-motivated and has worked as in-house counsel in a fast-paced, start up environment. Previous experience in a firm is appropriate if the individual had broad oversight across multiple disciplines. The General Counsel will have international experience and focus on the drafting, execution, negotiating and management of contracts including but not limited to partnership, acquisition, employment and real estate agreements as well as be the primary point of contact for all external legal support. The General Counsel will also be responsible for ensuring all legal compliance including international expansion, data and privacy laws including HIPAA and GDPR. They will also oversee compliance with corporate governance, establishing the prudence of defending or pursuing litigation matters as required and act as the Corporate Secretary for the Board of Directors. A well-rounded, corporate-minded lawyer who is ready for an exciting and rewarding experience.
What will you need?
- JD Degree
- MBA law degree is considered an asset
- Membership in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario
- Proven experience as legal counsel in a business environment or broad work within a firm, specific to small to mid-sized corporate support
- A minimum of 4 years of corporate experience
- Strong business acumen
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Results-oriented with a commitment to excellence
- Ability to manage multiple external support factors while working to reduce reliance on outside help
- Strong conceptual skills, analytical and problem solving skills and the ability to resolve conflict
- Ability to build effective working relationships with a dynamic, professional team
What You’d Do
- Provide advice on governance to senior management and the Board of Directors including:
- Corporate best practices,
- Development of Board of Directors’ policies, and
- Act as official Corporate Secretary for the Board
- Provide legal advice and legal services to senior management on a wide range of legal issues, including legal liability, partnership / contract law, securities law, policy development and application, labour and employment law, and administrative law
- Identify and recommend procedures and practices to protect the Company from undue liability and to assist with risk assessment and control;
- Review and advise administration on – contractual matters including contracts, partnership agreements, leases and M&A activity;
- Provide negotiation assistance where necessary in relation to employment, contract, M&A or litigation work;
- Oversee compliance and ensure alignment with HIPAA, GDPR and other necessary data regulations in Canada, the US and globally;
- Retain, instruct and oversee external legal counsel on behalf of the Company where appropriate and work to control costs with regard to all external support;
- In conjunction with external counsel and where appropriate, provide advice on matters related to labour relations and employment law in US, Canada and elsewhere that is applicable;
- In conjunction with external counsel and where appropriate, represent the Company at mediations, arbitrations and any litigation matters;
- Participate in special initiatives and sensitive projects on an as-needed basis.
CB2 Insights has a mission to mainstream medical cannabis into traditional healthcare. We do so by gathering data and creating objective real-world evidence through our proprietary software and clinical service brands.
Using clinical management and data collection software at the point-of-care, CB2 Insights and its group of sub-brands has become a leading force behind bringing traditional healthcare protocols to the rapidly evolving global cannabis industry.
To date, the Company has collected millions of data points from more than 300,000 patient interactions making it one of the largest medical cannabis patient registries in the world.
Why Work for CB2 Insights?
CB2 Insights offers a challenging yet rewarding work environment in a completely renovated open concept office in Mississauga with a downtown Toronto vibe. As a company experiencing explosive growth, you will find yourself at the centre of merging the excitement of global medical cannabis with the world of traditional healthcare. CB2 Insights happily offers employees:
- Friendly start-up environment
- Competitive salaries.
- Health and dental benefits.
- Occasional catered Friday lunches.
- In-office activities like board games, video game tournaments, etc.
- Out-of-office activities like battle archery, go-karting, etc.
- Endless resources to help you grow as a professional.