- Maple Reinders
- Mississauga, ON
- Lawyer - In House Counsel, General Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Construction Law, Corporate/Commercial Law, Engineering Law
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
The General Counsel advises management on all legal aspects of the company’s construction business including project procurement, contract management, construction liens, and construction claims management. Drafting and negotiating various contract and other agreements is a core component of this role.
Guide and build relationships at all levels throughout the business while educating on legal risk and compliance. This position requires a highly ethical, values-driven and hardworking individual who strives to achieve success with the highest standards or performance while pursuing creative and practical solutions.
The role required extraordinary affinity for organizing and tracking all documentation within the context of managing legal risk and position, and consulting with and utilizing external counsel as required, in fulfilling the duties outlined below.
Essential Job Results:
- Manage litigation matters internal to company operations (receivables, property damage, personal injury, contractual) with a view to cost effective results.
- Prepare, review, comment and negotiate tender documentation, proposals and draft contracts and other relevant legal documentation, for local and international projects in a variety of sectors often in the context of alternative delivery projects.
- Prepare, review, comment and negotiate various other documents including MOUs, NDAs, subcontracts and employment contracts.
- Review and advise on human resource and union issues, contracts and agreements.
- Participate in the negotiation process of various contract with clients, and with partners, subcontractors and suppliers.
- Participate in the application and follow-up of the Company’s Ethics and Compliance policies and procedures, and corporate governance.
- Bachelors of Law Degree from an accredited Canadian University.
- 5 to 15 years of legal experience in contracts negotiation and drafting.
- Member in good standing with the Law Society or Canadian Bar Association.
- Relevant experience in business law and/or engineering-construction law.
- An understanding of the complex risk-transfer and project-financing structure on PPP and other alternative delivery projects is preferred but not required.
- Valid driver's license.
Thank you for your interest in a career with Maple Reinders. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Maple Reinders is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, Maple Reinders accommodates candidates with disabilities throughout the hiring process.