- Canadian Tire Corporation
- Toronto, ON
- Law Clerk, Paralegal
- Area of Practice
- Commercial Real Estate Law
- Job Type
- Permanent, Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- College diploma
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 1-3 years
Canadian Tire Corporation’s (CTC) rich heritage of serving Canadians from coast-to-coast dates back to 1922. Our vision is to become the #1 retail brand in Canada by 2022 and we are focused on innovating and making important investments in our business, especially when it comes to our people. To reach our goal, we need the best talent to help us evolve and drive change across the business – and boldly help shape Canada’s retail industry. As we strive to be at the forefront of a complex and vastly changing retail industry, it is an exciting time to join the Canadian Tire family of companies.
Our Legal team is responsible for overseeing and identifying legal issues across all departments in our family of companies. They provide our senior leadership team with counsel regarding all agreements, negotiations, contracts and other general legal support; safeguarding our reputation and financial risk.
Reporting to the AVP, Legal Counsel this position represents an opportunity to assist with real estate legal and administrative tasks within the Legal Department. The incumbent must have experience working both independently and with a team and must be able to work in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines while maintaining accuracy and reliability of work performed. Working in a collaborative environment, the successful candidate will become an integral member of a small but dynamic team. Experience in a law firm and/or in-house legal department is an asset.
- Negotiate, draft and finalize commercial leases (retail, office and industrial) and related ancillary documentation such as extension agreements, subleases, assignments and surrender agreements
- Conduct title searches
- Review and process various real estate agreements, such as agreements of purchase and sale, easements and reciprocal agreements
- Assist in the negotiation and preparation of letters of intent and offers to lease
- Assist the real estate team with real estate related matters, including, among other things, interpretation of clauses in agreements
- Liase with external counsel across Canada in connection with the preparation and negotiation of real estate agreements
We are looking for individuals who are:
- Creative and courageous, with the ability to manage in an environment of change and ambiguity to help us take bold, strategic moves in this rapidly evolving retail environment
- Action oriented, and comfortable taking calculated risks to better serve our customers and business
- Outcome focused, critical thinkers with the ability to analyze and visualize, to ensure continuous improvement across our entire business
- Collaborative team players with superior influencing skills, who build relationships easily across various stakeholder groups to move initiatives forward
If you’re curious, ready to take on new challenges and open to doing things differently to help us evolve rapidly, then this is definitely the place to be.
- Diploma from a recognized Ontario Law Clerk program and certified with The Institute of Law Clerks of Ontario
- Minimum 3 to 5 years of experience as a real estate law clerk working in a law firm or in-house legal department
- Law Clerk or Paralegal designation
- Comfortable using Teraview
- Excellent working knowledge of MS Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint as well as Outlook and Adobe
- Solid analytical and problem-solving skills combined with meticulous attention to detail and decision-making skills
- Strong ability to multitask and prioritize tasks independently
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate clearly
Canadian Tire and its family of companies are boldly shaping retail in Canada and we continue to deliver a positive experience for our customers. As one of the most trusted brands in Canada, our employees take pride in the work we do across the country. It’s more than the iconic triangle that keeps our employees around. From benefits and perks, to learning and development opportunities, to our commitment to Jumpstart – these are some of the many reasons why Canadian Tire Corporation is one of Canada’s Top Employers.
To learn more about this team and the Canadian Tire family of companies follow us on LinkedIn.