The decision to join a company is a big one. We have opportunities for hard working, energetic and reliable people just like you.
Reporting to the Manager, Legal Counsel, the Junior Law Clerk will provide support to the Senior Law Clerks and other members of the Legal team and will work closely with other members of the Weston Group of Companies. The Junior Law Clerk will also assist with corporate secretarial services for the Weston Group of Companies, including numerous domestic and international legal entities of the Weston Group and will provide administrative support to the GWL Legal group in the context of such activities, as well as assist with corporate transactions, securities law compliance and continuous disclosure requirements.
You will have the unique opportunity to develop and build your technical and foundational knowledge of key Legal functions within a dynamic and fast-paced environment. We believe in building our talent within, while creating opportunities for our employees to grow the skills necessary to advance and prosper in future opportunities within the Weston Group. We believe in an open, supportive, diverse and collegial culture.
- Assist with the coordination of Board, Committee and shareholder meetings, as well as assist with the preparation of required materials.
- Administration of the online board meeting portal (Diligent Boardbooks).
- Arrange audio visual requirements, conference calls, hotel/travel arrangements, catering and meeting logistics.
- Assist with the management and maintenance of corporate records.
- Assist with the preparation of continuous disclosure documents.
- Assist with transactions, including acquisitions, divestitures, reorganizations and financing matters.
- Assist with corporate governance matters.
- Be involved in a variety of special projects.
- Provide administrative support in connection with the above activities.
- Minimum 1-2 years of experience as a Junior Law Clerk within a leading law firm, financial institution, securities regulator, public company or other reputable company.
- College Law Clerk Diploma.
- Previous experience in the corporate secretariat department for a public company is an asset.
- Experience with an Entity Management platform, and/or other corporate systems is an asset.
- Eligibility for membership with the Institute of Law Clerks of Ontario.
- Ability to work in a highly-organized manner where attention to detail, accuracy and confidentiality are critical.
- Self-motivated and proactive individuals will excel in this role.
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to juggle multiple priorities.
- High level of professionalism and an ability to deal effectively with all levels within the organization as well as external contacts.
- All candidates must have flexibility to assist with Board and Committee meetings outside of regularly scheduled work hours.
- Ability to multi-task and work independently is essential.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
George Weston Limited recognizes Canada's diversity as a source of national pride and strength. We have made it a priority to reflect our nation’s evolving diversity in the products we sell, the people we hire, and the culture we create in our organization. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants and colleagues with disabilities.
In addition, we believe that compliance with laws is about doing the right thing. Upholding the law is part of our Code of Conduct – it reinforces what our customers and stakeholders expect of us.