Senior Associate - Legal
- Meridian Credit Union
- Toronto, ON
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 1-3 years
Join our growing Team!
About this Opportunity:
An exciting opportunity exists to join Meridian Credit Union as a lawyer based in Toronto. Reporting to the Director, Legal, you will support the Director in the fulfillment of legal tasks including third party vendor contract negotiation, review and drafting, risk identification and mitigation, legal research, and the evaluation, development and execution of strategic business opportunities and transactions. This role sits within the Meridian legal department, a highly collaborative team focused on enabling business growth and mitigating risk for our member-centric organization. To be successful in this role you should have the experience and capability to handle a broad range of legal, compliance and transactional matters including litigation and M&A.
What You’ll get to do:
- Support the Director in identifying legal, regulatory and compliance requirements and risks associated with Meridian’s business initiatives, and developing and implementing appropriate mitigation strategies.
- Review, draft, and negotiate a wide range of agreements with vendors, Members and other third parties, including data licenses, services agreements, software and intellectual property agreements and other complex commercial agreements.
- Research and respond to general legal inquiries from internal clients that relate to corporate, litigation, strategy, intellectual property and compliance matters, including CASL and privacy-related matters, and advise business on appropriate legal action to be taken.
- Provide practical and insightful business and strategic advice, leveraging experience in the practice of law and the legal profession.
- Assist the business with mergers and acquisitions and joint ventures.
- Provide pre-litigation advice and supervise ongoing litigation.
- Coordinate legal matters handled by outside counsel.
- Provide general legal support to all areas of Meridian.
- Undertake other reasonable duties as requested.
The Ideal Profile:
- Minimum 2 years post-call experience in private practice and/or as in-house corporate legal counsel; industry experience an asset.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills, business acumen, common sense, the ability to take initiative and a practical approach to the law.
- Solid experience in drafting and negotiating commercial contracts, including vendor agreements
- Ability to think strategically and creatively and to identify and resolve legal issues.
- Ability to successfully work in a team environment and ability to build rapport and trust with a wide variety of both internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to juggle multiple matters at once and work independently in a fast-paced environment and prioritize accordingly.
- Ability to exercise good judgement on when to seek help and where to find appropriate resources to solve problems.
- Authorized to practice law in Ontario.
What’s in it for you?
- We have an inclusive and collaborative working environment that encourages creativity, curiosity, and celebrates success!
- We provide you with the tools and technology needed to delight your members!
- You'll get to work with and learn from diverse industry leaders, who have hailed from top organizations around the world
- Dress for your day! Be comfortable when you can!
- Just steps away from Islington Subway Station
- This isn't your typical "corporate" job. We work hard and we have fun!
Experience the Difference!