Office of General Counsel - Legal Counsel
- Price Waterhouse Coopers (PwC)
- Toronto, ON
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Corporate/Commercial Law
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 1-3 years
At PwC, we work together to provide exceptional industry-focused services to clients from 26 offices across Canada. We’re a member of the PwC network of firms, with more than 223,000 people in 157 countries.
Our purpose is to build trust in society and solve important problems. Our shared global values help us achieve our purpose and guide our actions. We act with integrity, make a difference, care, work together and reimagine the possible.
Line of ServiceInternal Firm Services
SpecialismIFS - Office of General Counsel (OGC)
Job Description & SummaryA career in Office of General Counsel, within Internal Firm Services, will provide you with the opportunity to be a part of the Firm’s legal department by providing dedicated legal support in the areas of litigation, counselling, and corporate, commercial, and employment law. You’ll play an important part in all aspects of regulatory proceedings involving the Firm and its personnel by supporting on regulatory issues, advising the Firm on matters relating to its operations, supporting the Firm’s client contracting function, and advising on matters related to employees.
As part of our team, you’ll help with researching background information related to legal issues and prepare legal documents. You’ll focus on drafting contracts or legal agreements, retaining files of prepared legal documents, and coordinating requests between internal and external counsel.
As Legal Counsel, reporting to Senior Legal Counsel, you will establish yourself as a credible resource to the business nationally. Matters will encompass professional engagement, general corporate / commercial law, particularly drafting and negotiating agreements (often technology focused) and presenting / explaining legal concepts to internal clients effectively.
To really stand out and make us ﬁt for the future in a constantly changing world, each and every one of us at PwC needs to be an authentic and inclusive leader, at all grades/levels and in all lines of service. To help us achieve this we have the PwC Professional; our global leadership development framework. It gives us a single set of expectations across our lines, geographies and career paths, and provides transparency on the skills we need as individuals to be successful and progress in our careers, now and in the future.
You’ll work as part of a team of problem solvers, helping to solve complex business issues from strategy to execution. PwC Professional skills and responsibilities for this management level include but are not limited to:
- Pursue opportunities to develop existing and new skills outside of your comfort zone.
- Act to resolve issues which prevent effective team working, even during times of change and uncertainty.
- Coach others and encourage them to take ownership of their development.
- Analyse complex ideas or proposals and build a range of meaningful recommendations.
- Use multiple sources of information including broader stakeholder views to develop solutions and recommendations.
- Address sub-standard work or work that does not meet firm’s/client’s expectations.
- Develop a perspective on key global trends, including globalisation, and how they impact the firm and our clients.
- Manage a variety of viewpoints to build consensus and create positive outcomes for all parties
- Focus on building trusted relationships.
- Uphold the firm’s code of ethics and business conduct.
- You will be licensed to practice law in Ontario and have 2-4 years of experience (post call) focused on Corporate/Commercial law.
- You will have professional services experience, but Lawyers from both private practice and in house settings will be considered.
- A strong understanding of information technology law would also be an asset.
Education(if blank, degree and/or field of study not specified)Degrees/Field of Study required:
Degrees/Field of Study preferred:
Certifications(if blank, certifications not specified)
Desired Languages(If blank, desired languages not specified)
Travel RequirementsNot Specified
Available for Work Visa Sponsorship?No
Government Clearance Required?No
Job Posting End Date
PwC is committed to building a diverse workforce representative of the communities we serve. We encourage and are pleased to consider all qualified candidates, without regard to race, colour, citizenship, religion, sex, marital / family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, aboriginal status, age, disability or persons who may require an accommodation, to apply.