Wawanesa Mutual Insurance is one of the largest property and casualty insurers in Canada with $3 billion in annual revenues and assets of more than $9 billion. Wawanesa Mutual, founded in 1896 with executive offices in Winnipeg, is the parent company of Wawanesa General, which offers property and casualty insurance in California and Oregon, and Wawanesa Life, which distributes life insurance products and services throughout Canada. With over 3,500 employees, Wawanesa proudly serves over two million policyholders through nine regional offices and 41 service offices in Canada and the United States. Wawanesa actively gives back to organizations that strengthen communities where it operates, donating well above internationally recognized benchmarks for excellence in corporate philanthropy.
We are currently looking for dedicated, driven, and enthusiastic individuals who thrive in an environment that welcomes change and are looking for an opportunity for diverse experience, advancement on a growing team.
If you are interested in playing a key role in developing a comprehensive enterprise claims legal strategy for one of Canada’s largest mutual insurance companies, Wawanesa is a fit for you! We are currently adding to our Claims Excellence team, and are looking for a Strategic Claims Counsel to join our growing team.
The Strategic Claims Counsel acts as a front line legal resource and center of excellence to assist our regional claims operations in proactive and efficient management and resolution of all property and casualty claims. This role will assist in planning, directing and implementing strategies and initiatives related to improving our claims resolution performance and outcomes for our policyholders.
- Maintains an in-depth knowledge of regional legal developments and proactively identifies opportunities to centralize access and dissemination of legal knowledge throughout claims operations to ensure ongoing best practices and outcomes in assessing, handling, and resolving claims
- Assists with development and implementation of internal policies, guidelines, or training resources with respect to claims operations
- Provides training and guidance on legal developments in the region and/or area of expertise (case law or statutory/regulatory changes), best practice in legal negotiating, handling and resolving disputed/litigious claims.
- Communicates with external counsel and insureds to ensure prompt and fair resolution of files before they escalate to litigation
- Proactively monitors the regional claims legal environment and practices and reports key trends and issues, as well as potential solutions where necessary
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- 3 years or more of insurance defense litigation experience, including independently managing insurance defense files through their entire life cycle with a proven track record of success
- Juris Doctorate or Bachelor of Laws degree and member in good standing of the bar in Ontario or Alberta
- Strong knowledge of the insurance law and practice, particularly in the fields of bodily injury, accident benefits, and property claims
- Strong legal research skills and proficiency with digital legal research resources
- Strong MS Office skills
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to communicate in a concise, clear, timely and professional manner in person, as well as via telephone and written correspondence/email.
- Strong organizational, priority-setting and multi-tasking skills, including the ability to adapt to significant change within a rapidly evolving organization and industry.
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills with the ability to influence and gain respect, credibility and confidence from others
- Strong business acumen with excellent analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to recognize and identify critical issues and make well-reasoned and justified decisions in complex and high-pressure situations
- Position may require the ability to travel up to 10% of the time.
- Experience handling subrogation matters and conducting examinations under oath will be considered an asset
Wawanesa provides its employees with a respectful, challenging and rewarding environment where they can maximize their potential while contributing to the company’s goals. Our employees are provided with highly competitive compensation packages (salaries, generous vacation allowance, leave top up, goal achievement plan, premium free benefits and a pension plan). Wawanesa provides a stable and rewarding environment for its employees in today’s challenging markets.
If you are interested in this exciting, challenging position with Wawanesa, apply today with your Resume.
Accommodations are available as needed for all applicants.