Legal Counsel (Corporate)
- MD Financial Management
- Ottawa, ON
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Corporate/Commercial Law
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional Degree - LL.B or B.C.L
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
At MD Financial Management, we have one mandate: to help Canadian physicians achieve financial well-being by focusing on their distinctive needs and operating in their best interests. Our commitment to work/life integration, employee well-being and ongoing learning are key factors that contribute to our overall success.
For the sixth consecutive year, MD Financial Management has been recognized as one of the Achievers 50 Most Engaged Workplaces in North America. The annual award, given by Achievers—an industry-leading provider of employee recognition and engagement solutions—commends top employers that display leadership and innovation in engaging their workforces.
What You Will Do:
Reporting to the VP, Legal & Compliance, the Legal Counsel (Corporate) of MD Financial Management Inc. (“MDFM”) is a member of the Compliance, Legal & Governance (“CLG”) team and is responsible for providing timely and practical legal advice in a fast-paced environment to a variety of internal clients.
Specifically, you will:
- Advise internal business clients on a variety of legal matters, including contract drafting and negotiations and managing legal risks in a variety of outsourcing relationships
- Negotiate, draft, review and manage corporate contracts such as service agreements, non-disclosure agreements, licensing agreements and other contracts, client forms and documents as well as relevant policies and procedures to ensure they meet business needs and minimize legal risks
- Keep abreast of legislative and regulatory changes that may impact the business
- Provide accurate and practical legal advice to the business in a timely and professional manner on practice-related matters
- Actively participate in cross functional teams requiring legal representation such as corporate re-organizations, reviews of new products and services, incident management or other matters
What You Need:
- Law degree, member in good standing of the Law Society of Upper Canada and/ or other Canadian common law jurisdictions with a minimum of 5 years’ experience. Private practice or in-house counsel experience with proven ability to balance legal advice with business needs
- Civil law knowledge would be a definite asset
- A legal generalist with a strong knowledge of corporate, contract and commercial law, understanding of the financial services industry
What You Bring:
- Ability to analyze complex situations and problems with objectivity and clarity
- Ability to understand key business drivers and tailor business solutions to minimize legal risk
- Creativity and problem resolution skills
- Ability to operate at both strategic and operational level
- Excellent drafting and analytical skills, strong communication skills
- Ability to build strong working relationships with a wide range of stakeholders including board of directors, senior management, business line staff and external partners to help and develop long term relationships
- Demonstrated organization, facilitation, communication, and presentation skills
- Bilingual (English and French) preferred
What Success Looks Like:
You are passionate about the MD value proposition and actively look to ensure your client’s ongoing satisfaction.
You take great pride in the effective and productive working relationship you have developed with your team and internal clients.
You are constantly learning and honing your skills.
You are technology savvy and endeavour to find new and exciting ways to use technology in the servicing of your client.
You possess strong business acumen and can make sound business decisions / recommendations quickly and confidently.
You feel rewarded and recognized in a way that inspires you to do your best work.