Choice Properties Real Estate Investment Trust is an owner, manager and developer of well-located retail and commercial real estate across Canada. Choice Properties' portfolio spans approximately 67 million square feet of gross leasable area and consists of 750 properties primarily focused on supermarket-anchored shopping centres and stand-alone supermarkets.
Choice Properties’ strategy is to create value by enhancing and optimizing its portfolio through accretive acquisitions, strategic development and active property management. Choice Properties' principal tenant, is Loblaw Companies Limited, Canada's largest retailer. Choice Properties' strong alliance with Loblaw positions it well for future growth.
Under the direction and guidance of the lead Legal Counsel for national leasing and Quebec real estate matters for Choice Properties you will perform duties of a paralegal, and specifically delegated substantive legal work. This role will require knowledge of real estate and commercial leasing matters.
Research, Drafting and Review of Leasing Documents:
- Draft and review leases, extension, amendment and assignment agreements and other types of commercial leasing agreements. Arrange for execution by relevant parties.
- Communicates and negotiates non-business provisions contained in lease documentation directly with lawyers, tenants and other third parties and reviews business provisions with the Leasing Department.
- Ensures legal documentation complies with company policies, procedures and strategies.
- Research leasing and landlord/tenant issues arising from lease agreements and draft appropriate correspondence.
- Review all necessary documentation, including notices of lease, estoppel certificates, etc. as required under the lease provisions.
- Coordinate the inflow of information for the purpose of the continual updating of company databases and other information systems.
Real Estate Matters:
- Assist in document preparation, review and execution for acquisition and disposition of real estate.
- Review agreements and give opinions on documentation/legal instruments in relation to servitudes, restrictive covenants and operating agreements.
- Prepare and process documentation with respect to any rights registered at the RDPRM (cession of rank, acquittances and discharges, movable hypothecs).
- Access the Registre Foncier du Québec to perform searches as requested, e.g. legal hypothecs, title searches, property mapping, etc.
- Review reference plans, plans of survey affecting conveyances, etc.
- Special projects as requested from time to time.
- Completion of Diploma of College Studies (DEC) in paralegal technology or Bachelor of Laws.
- 2 to 5 years’ experience in a real estate environment, with commercial leasing experience.
- Strong ability to work as part of a team, show initiative and also work independently.
- Exceptional organizational skills, and strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proficient in French and in English (written and oral).
Choice Properties REIT recognizes Canada's diversity as a source of national pride and strength. We have made it a priority to reflect our nation’s evolving diversity in the people we hire, and the culture we create in our organization. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants and employees with disabilities.
In addition, we believe that compliance with laws is about doing the right thing. Upholding the law is part of our Code of Conduct – it reinforces what our customers and stakeholders expect of us.