Reporting to VP Legal, Corporate Counsel will provide legal advice to the business development and project teams related to the Company’s business, including transactional and operational matters, and will work with field personnel to identify and mitigate legal issues. The position will be based in our Richmond, BC office.
The successful candidate will be a team player who will build relationships at all levels throughout the business whilst educating on legal risk. This position requires a highly ethical, values-driven and hardworking individual who strives to achieve success with the highest standards of performance while pursuing creative and practical solutions.
As a key member, you will assist the business development teams with the legal work for the construction business including project bidding and contract review. Drafting and negotiating the agreements is a core component of this role. A full understanding of the complex risk-transfer and project-financing structure on P3 projects would be an advantage.
- Review large project contract documents and identify and analyze legal risks related to these projects and report on legal risk to management; including:
- Contract Review for Project Bidding and providing legal opinions to the Bid Review Committee (BRC)
- Drafting and negotiation of agreements, including:
- Design-build /construction contracts
- Joint venture agreements
- Concession agreements (P3 transactions)
- Subcontract agreements with designers and civil subcontractors
- Interface agreements
- Lenders’ direct agreements
- Parent company guarantees
- Working with Joint Venture (JV) partners and external counsel to close out deals, completing closing paperwork, obtaining relevant signatures, preparing closing books.
- Preparing user manuals summarizing key components of project contracts for use by project team.
- Request for Proposals (RFP), review submission requirements and forms.
- Provide effective and efficient legal advice to key internal and external legal, finance, tax, treasury, insurance and other functional business unit leaders.
- Develop, strengthen and sustain productive and collaborative working relationship with personnel at all levels to encourage and continue the proactive use of in-house legal counsel.
- Provide training to project site teams regarding legal risk issues.
- Quickly build an understanding of the business to provide relevant, timely counsel to operational teams.
- Bachelors of Law Degree from an accredited University.
- Member in good standing with the Law Society or Canadian Bar Association.
- 3-5 years of relevant post-bar professional experience, required.
- In-house corporate experience preferred.
- Prior work experience within the heavy civil construction industry preferred. Experience in related industries such as mining and oil and gas will also be considered.
- Experience on large scale design/build and/or PPP (P3) transactions is preferred.
- Demonstrated (exceptional) capabilities in the following areas:
- Communication and Drafting skills – oral, written, presentation
- Analytical and problem solving
- Computer and software systems (Microsoft office, etc)
- Strong track record of:
- High integrity
- Results driven
- Continuous process improvement
- Team player and self-starter.
- Prior experience successfully operating in a fast paced, fluid, “build-it” environment
- Flexibility to travel when required.
Some of the benefits you may be eligible for as a Flatiron employee are:
- Comprehensive compensation package and paid time off program
- Industry leading 401(k)/RRSP
- Medical/Extended Health Care, Dental, Vison and/or Provincial Medical
- Wellness benefits & Employee Assistance Program
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
Flatiron is an EEO/AA/ADA/Veterans employer.