- JD or LL.B.
- 7 years of experience as a lawyer and 3 years of experience working with federal, provincial, and municipal government procurement processes and contracting laws, regulations, and rules in Canada.
- Qualified lawyer in Canada, with law firm or in-house experience.
- Ability to speak and write English fluently and idiomatically.
- Public sector focused transactional legal experience in a law firm or an in-house legal department, supporting a public sector sales organization. Experience engaging with government contracting officials, system integrators, prime contractors, subcontractors, and resellers in Canada.
- Experience advising clients in structuring, drafting, and negotiating complex commercial agreements.
- Familiarity with online technologies, including cloud computing, and related regulatory issues, including privacy.
- Ability to work collaboratively, independently, strategically, and with sound judgment. Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage several simultaneous projects under deadline pressure.
- Excellent communication skills. Professional fluency in French, written and spoken.
About the Job
You are an outstanding lawyer with a genuine interest in technology who thinks creatively and strategically. As Corporate Counsel on the small, scrappy Canadian legal team, you will work on the most exciting legal issues as disruptive technological innovations require creative and proactive legal guidance. You are a talented lawyer with significant public procurement experience, who will support Google Cloud and other Google businesses in selling to public sector customers throughout Canada. Your primary focus will be on supporting Google Cloud federal, provincial, and municipal public sector sales and procurement compliance initiatives. You are also an adept commercial counsel, who will draft and negotiate enterprise, reseller, professional services, and other business and technology agreements and assist with product go-to-market initiatives, marketing activities, and regulatory matters. You are collaborative -- ready to partner in initiatives that influence all aspects of the business and work with Googlers from all over the company. You enjoy rolling up your sleeves to handle complex issues, but at the same time are eager to contribute where needed, assisting our rapidly growing businesses in a collegial, fast-paced environment.
20th century laws don't always solve 21st century problems, and Google Legal crafts innovative approaches for handling some of the toughest legal challenges of the information age. Whether you're a patent attorney, an intellectual property expert or an engineer headed to law school, Google Legal lets you take on unanswered legal quandaries and create new precedents. Our innovative services raise challenging questions that demand creative and practical answers. We provide those answers by working at the crossroads of the law and new technology, helping Google build innovative and important products for users around the world.
- Help ensure operational and product compliance with Canadian public procurement laws, regulations, and rules relevant to Google Cloud’s transactions with federal, provincial, and municipal government customers. Support channel and partner issues and responses to requests for proposals and tenders.
- Develop and support policies and training programs relating to public procurement compliance.
- Review, draft, and negotiate a diverse range of agreements, including cloud services, professional services, reseller, and other business and technology agreements that comply with company policies and risk tolerance.
- Respond promptly to a variety of legal requests from internal clients, summarizing and communicating legal concepts that business people can use. Advise stakeholders on legal issues and risks, approval processes, company policies, and business strategy.
- Assist in the other work of the Canadian legal team to advise the business on our activities in Canada.