We are proud to announce that Canada Life will become our company brand under which our three companies service – Great West Life, London Life, and Canada Life.
Together, Great-West Life, London Life and Canada Life have been in the business of keeping promises for over a century. The new Canada Life brand combines the strengths of all three – so we can better deliver on our purpose: To improve the financial, physical and mental well-being of Canadians.
We are excited about this journey. To find out more about our story, click here
Who we are:
Canada Life is a leading Canadian insurer, focused on improving the financial, physical and mental well-being of Canadians. For more than 125 years, our customers across Canada have trusted us to provide for their financial security needs and deliver on the promises we have made.
At Canada Life, we believe in improving the financial, physical and well-being of all Canadians. The foundation of our strategy is placing the customer at the centre of everything we do. A key element of this strategy is transforming the customer experience.
More about our team:
Our current team of lawyers, law clerks and administrative staff is 50+ strong. We provide advanced legal support to Canada Life across Canada. We believe in a supportive, cohesive work environment where everyone is respected and valued for what they bring to the team. It is a culture we are proud of and it informs our hiring choices. We work hard, but believe in work/family balance.
We have one full time permanent position on our defence litigation team.
What you'll do as Law Clerk on the Defence Litigation Team:
- Prepare draft pleadings on behalf of counsel (reviewing initiating documents and file materials); prepare standard court documents, settlement documents and correspondence on behalf of counsel
- Ensure all electronic correspondence, pleadings and evidence are organized to properly and efficiently manage matters in our paperless environment
- Organize and compile documents for electronic production (medical and production briefs), organize and prepare materials for discoveries, mediations, independent medical examinations, surveillance, pre-trials and various other court appearances
- Enter data on a timely and accurate basis into the matter management system for operational and expense reporting purposes
- Review all correspondence and productions directed to assigned lawyer and handle/summarize as required
- Handle travel arrangements and complete expense statements on behalf of counsel
Who you are:
- You exemplify professionalism, diligence, discretion, expertise and reliability.
- Ideally you have at least 5 years’ experience as a Law Clerk in civil litigation defence work with a thorough understanding of the relevant rules of court and legal terminology
- Post-secondary diploma in a recognized legal assistant, law clerk or paralegal program, or combination of education and experience
- Superior oral and written communication skills (including proofreading with keen attention to detail)
- Strong organizational and time management skills. Ability to work well under pressure, prioritize multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Strong computer skills (MS Word, Excel, Outlook, Adobe Pro). Exposure to matter management and document management software would be an asset
- Initiative, confidence and good judgment to be able to work independently with minimal direction and to respond effectively to issues that arise
- Well developed interpersonal skills
- Experience working with highly sensitive and confidential information as part of daily duties
What you'll like about working here:
We offer a challenging, team-oriented work environment, competitive income and benefits, and opportunities for professional and personal development and growth. We provide a total rewards package that is competitive and consistent with our core values. Our variable incentive and compensation programs support our performance culture by rewarding our high achieving teams and individuals. Our health and dental benefits are flexible and comprehensive to suit a variety of needs.
We also offer an employee pension plan, a share purchase plan, group RRSPs, discounted home and auto insurance and preferential rates for home mortgages.
Discover your opportunity….Apply today!
Great-West Life offers competitive compensation, great benefits such as medical, dental, life insurance, wellness account and personal days not to mention onsite cafeteria and fitness in our head office facilities. If you’d like to join our team submit your information online and introduce yourself.
Together Great-West Life, London Life and Canada Life serve the financial security needs of more than 13 million people across Canada, with additional operations in Europe and the United States. As members of the Power Financial Corporation group of companies, we’re one of Canada’s leading insurers with interests in life insurance, health insurance, investment and retirement savings. We offer a broad portfolio of financial and benefit plan solutions for individuals, families, businesses and organizations.
We are committed to providing an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we live, and to creating an environment where every employee has the opportunity to reach their potential.
Great-West Lifeco would like to thank all applicants, however only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted.