Miller Thomson LLP is one of Canada's fastest growing national business law firms, with offices located in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon, London, Kitchener-Waterloo, Guelph, Toronto, Markham, Vaughan and Montréal. Our consistent ability to provide practical, creative and cost-effective advice, combined with an unyielding service commitment to our clients and a strong dedication to our lawyers, staff and the communities in which we practice, gives us a unique position in the Canadian legal industry.
We are seeking a full-time, permanent Legal Assistant to join our Corporate Commercial Department in our Waterloooffice. In this role you will provide administrative support on a shared basis to multiple lawyers. The ideal candidate will be an experienced assistant who can assist our lawyers in the management of their practices which involve commercial leasing, asset and share purchase transactions, incorporations, re-organizations, shareholder agreements and other major business transactions.
Working as a team member in this busy environment, you will be exceptionally organized, flexible to deal with changing priorities, and be reliable for your lawyers and other team members.
In this role, you will be tasked to:
- Handling and prioritizing workload independently;
- Flexibility to work with changing priorities;
- Processing large volumes of documents;
- Meeting strict deadlines;
- Excellent multi-tasking stills;
- Problem solving with minimal supervision;
- Communicating in a professional manner with lawyers and other team members;
- Other duties as assigned.
To be successful in this role, you possess:
- A minimum of 2 to 5 years of administrative experience in a legal environment;
- A solid understanding of current legal terminology;
- Fast, accurate, keyboarding skills; minimum 60 wpm;
- Experience performing accounting/bookkeeping tasks would be considered an asset;
- Excellent proofreading skills (ability to check typed material for grammatical, typographical, spelling, word usage and format errors);
- The ability to work independently, follow instructions with minimal supervision and take initiative;
- The willingness to learn and contribute to the team.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, due to the high volume of applications that we receive, we are unable to respond to queries individually and only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies please.
Miller Thomson will provide accommodations on request throughout the recruitment, selection and assessment process for applicants with disabilities. If you require accommodations, please inform our Talent Management department of the nature of accommodations that you may require, to ensure your equal participation.