- Valsoft Corporation
- Montreal, QC
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Corporate/Commercial Law, Mergers & Acquisitions
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional Degree - LL.B or B.C.L
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 1-3 years
Valsoft Corporation is seeking a Legal Counsel to join our in-house legal team based in Montreal. As Legal Counsel, you will report to Valsoft’s General Counsel and be expected to support the company and its subsidiaries in completing acquisitions and negotiating software agreements among other responsibilities.
In addition, you will help support all divisions of the company on various legal matters related to contracts law, information technology, and employment law for its companies around the world.
At Valsoft, our main focus is to acquire and grow vertical market software businesses that provide mission-critical solutions in their respective niche. Our goal is to provide great software and related technology services to an ever-expanding consumer base. Since 2015 Valsoft has through acquisition grown to over 300 employees worldwide with offices in the United States, the United Kingdom and Australia.
- Assist the General Counsel with U.S., Canadian and European-based acquisitions, including drafting of closing documents, and working with external counsel and the local M&A team;
- Work with the M & A team to draft and negotiate Term Sheets and Letter of Intents for acquisitions of targets in both Canada & the U.S;
- Draft and review various commercial (licensing) agreements for our various businesses (software, online, etc.), and summarize specific clauses of existing agreements, as well as suggest amendments, if necessary;
- Perform and manage legal due diligence for M&A transactions in various verticals (online and software);
- Assist the legal department in setting internal controls;
- Assist in developing a framework for the department;
- Any other tasks as assigned by the General Counsel.
- 3+ years of experience working as a lawyer at a law firm and/or a corporation;
- Ability to work across every level of an organization and to relate effectively with executives and operational teams;
- Relevant M&A and corporate law experience is required. Exposure to technology and technology-related legal work will be considered an asset;
- The successful candidate will be business-minded, pragmatic and able to work autonomously in a fast-paced environment;
- Effectively prioritize and manage multiple matters;
- An undergraduate business degree or MBA will be considered an asset;
- Limited travel may be required.