- Cenovus Energy
- Calgary, AB
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Labour & Employment Law, Privacy Law
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
We’re a Canadian integrated oil and natural gas company headquartered in Calgary. We’re committed to maximizing value by responsibly developing our assets in a safe, innovative and efficient way.
Our operations include oil sands projects in northern Alberta, which use specialized methods to drill and pump the oil to the surface, and established natural gas and oil production in Alberta and British Columbia. We also have 50 percent ownership in two U.S. refineries.
Our shares trade under the symbol CVE, and are listed on the Toronto and New York stock exchanges.
Reporting to the Associate General Counsel and Privacy Officer, Cenovus has an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated Legal Counsel to join our Legal team.
This is a fulltime employee position based in our downtown Calgary office.
- Provide legal guidance and practical solutions with respect to data protection and privacy matters
- Review and assess privacy compliance issues, advise on policy and procedure improvements, personal information handling policies, and breach response procedures
- Support the implementation and maintenance of a company-wide data privacy program and compliance standards
- Conduct research relating to the legal requirements applicable to privacy and management of the personal information
- Assist in ensuring compliance with applicable privacy requirements through internal training and education
- Handle a variety of litigation matters, including contractual disputes and commercial matters
- Provide legal advice and support to internal teams across the company on litigation risk and litigation-related processes
- Serve as a key resource for day to day employment law matters
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- LLB/JD degree and good standing membership with the Law Society of Alberta
- 5+ years of experience advising on privacy law and employment law at a top law firm or in-house environment
- Extensive understanding of applicable data protection/privacy laws and regulations including the negotiation of data protection terms and other privacy-related contract terms, as well as handling requests for access to personal information
- Experience handling complex commercial litigation matters will be considered an asset
To be considered for a position, please click Apply and create an account or sign in to your Cenovus Careers profile.
Immediately following successful submission of your online application, you will receive an online notification confirming Cenovus's receipt of your resume.
Only those applicants who apply directly to a posted position and are selected for an interview will be contacted. We will not accept agency or third-party candidate submissions.