We protect the public. We advance our profession. We guide our CPAs. We ensure that our 92,000 members and 21,000 students meet the highest standards of integrity and expertise. We help them stay ahead of global market trends and abreast of regulatory change. CPAs represent a globally recognized, premium designation. Our Chartered Professional Accountants are valued by organizations in all industries for their financial expertise, strategic thinking, management skills and leadership. cpaontario.ca.
CPA Ontario is currently in search of a Professional Standards Counsel who will be responsible for prosecuting allegations of professional misconduct before the Discipline and Appeal Committees of CPA Ontario and before the courts, providing legal advice to the Complaints Committee, and appointing and overseeing investigators.
- Prosecute matters before the Discipline and Appeal Committees and before the courts
- Appoint investigators on behalf of the Complaints Committee
- Review investigator reports and provide supervision, direction and advice to in-house and external investigators
- Be accountable to the Complaints Committee and the Director for decisions taken on investigation or prosecution files
- Provide legal advice to the Complaints Committee and Standards Enforcement staff as well as to other Departments at CPA Ontario
- Contribute to the development of regulatory policy
- LL.B./J.D. member in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario and licensed to practice law in Ontario required
- Minimum 15 years at the bar required
- Previous prosecution and/or litigation experience required
- Proven ability to assume independent carriage of files required
- Prior experience with the disciplinary process of self-regulating professions is an asset
- Excellent communication (verbal and written), interpersonal, and presentation skills required
- Proficiency with the MS suite of products is required; familiarity with e-discovery software is an asset
- Excellent organization and multi-tasking skills are required along with experience working in a high volume, deadline driven environment
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those being considered will be contacted.
CPA Ontario is an inclusive employer. Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code. If you require a disability-related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Accommodation Required” in the subject line to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.