- Entertainment One
- Toronto, ON
- Lawyer - In House Counsel, Lawyer - Other, Solicitor
- Area of Practice
- Intellectual Property Law, Media & Communications Law
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 1-3 years
Entertainment One Ltd. (LSE:ETO) is a global independent studio that specialises in the development, acquisition, production, financing, distribution and sales of entertainment content. The Company’s diversified expertise spans across film, television and music production and sales; family programming, merchandising and licensing; digital content; and live entertainment. Through its global reach and expansive scale, powered by deep local market knowledge, the Company delivers the best content to the world.
Entertainment One’s robust network includes international feature film distribution company Sierra/Affinity; Amblin Partners with DreamWorks Studios, Participant Media, and Reliance Entertainment; Makeready with Brad Weston; unscripted television production companies Whizz Kid Entertainment and Renegade 83; live entertainment leaders Round Room Entertainment; world-class music labels Dualtone Music Group and Last Gang.
The Company's rights library, valued at US$2.0 billion (as at 31 March 2018), is exploited across all media formats and includes about 80,000 hours of film and television content and approximately 40,000 music tracks; innovative music platform Audio Network; and award-winning emerging content and technology studio Secret Location.
The Director, Business and Legal Affairs will work within Distribution, Film North America of Entertainment One (“eOne”) with a particular emphasis on content acquisition. The role will require the ability to work independently while coordinating with the larger global team, will include negotiating, drafting, and commenting on acquisition agreements, intercompany arrangements and other content acquisition structures. The role will also assist as required with sales and licensing documentation, financing and banking documentation and government relations initiatives as well as liaising with other eOne business groups.
The successful candidate will ideally have considerable industry experience, confidence in negotiating with key industry players including broadcasters, lending institutions, completion guarantors, producers, talent, sales agents, studios and distributors, and an ability to deal with sophisticated and interrelated documentation, frequently to short deadlines, across multiple jurisdictions and projects. The role will require attention to detail and the ability to apply a commercial, common-sense approach to the work at hand.
- Taking the lead role in negotiating and drafting key agreements (including acquisitions, financing and sales documentation)
- General drafting and negotiation of commercial documentation and other legal agreements (including where appropriate, IT agreements, software development, sponsorship and venue agreements, NDAs, Settlement and Release Agreements, Cease & Desist and demand letters, sales and services agreements, marketing and advertising and co-promotion contracts,, contesting and promotion documentation, etc.)
- Liaising with global acquisition executives and other lawyers to manage global deal tracking and coordinate efforts
- Liaising with internal departments in respect of contract management and related tasks (including maintaining and updated records of key contractual, non-legal information and rights management information)
- Provide oversight of general legal and business practices and standards and oversight of certain litigation matters as applicable (including instructing and working with outside counsel, where appropriate);
- Provide oversight of regulatory and other legal compliance matters relating to content distribution (including but not limited to CASL compliance, privacy law compliance etc.)
- Provide oversight and tracking of company trademarks (including initial applications, renewals and revisions)
- Assisting with all aspects of government relations, lobbying and outreach
- Assisting department as required in maintaining and updating sales, licensing and distribution templates and process documentation
- Helping to develop internal process and procedures to monitor the progress of acquisitions and status of other negotiations
- Various special projects and other work as required to support the North American Film Legal team
Knowledge & Experience
- Qualified media lawyer/solicitor with 2-5 years Post Qualfied Experience with professional legal training completed in Canada (or similar jurisdiction) or a business affairs executive with equivalent prior experience working in business and legal affairs in the film and/or television industry
- Substantial experience in the field of intellectual property law, licensing and distribution (drafting and negotiation) and excellent legal skills;
- Familiarity with a variety of commercial media agreements (copyright licenses, rights assignments, music publishing agreements, sales agency agreements, etc.)
- In house experience;
- Ability to deal with high volume of work across many projects and time zones and ability to multi-task;
- Ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines;
- Excellent drafting and communication skills (including to non-legal departments);
- Good negotiation techniques with a commercial, problem solving and collaborative approach;
- Ability to deal with high volume of work across many projects and time zones and ability to multi-task
- Excellent working knowledge of Windows XP, Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point
- Fluency in French a definite asset
What you’ll be a part of:
· Taking care: competitive health and dental coverage
· Investing in your future: employee stock option purchase plan, and local defined contribution pension plans
· Break time: free snacks, winter holiday office closures, reduced hours in summer
· Party time: office bar carts, after work drinks, holiday and summer parties, and sometimes just because
· Be inspired: regular film screenings, concerts, and opportunity to get involved in industry events
· The office: modern facilities, in house screening rooms, more snacks, and swag
· Build a better world: transcend entertainment to our corporate social responsibility activities. Plan a social event. Promote healthy lifestyles. Go green. Give back.
· Grow: develop your career and shape your future
We thank everyone for their interest but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Entertainment One is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities, and supporting diversity and inclusion within our work environment. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise us of any accommodation needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process.