- Poka Inc.
- Quebec City or Montreal, QC
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Corporate/Commercial Law
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional Degree - LL.B or B.C.L
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
Poka is currently seeking a lawyer to fill a new permanent position as Legal Counsel. The ideal candidate has 7+ years of experience in business law practice, including in leading negotiations and drafting contract documents.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as legal advisor and provide advice to executives on relevant legal issues.
- Draft, negotiate and review agreements between the company and it’s clients, suppliers, partners, employees or investors.
- Maintain knowledge of industry standard methodologies and ensure that the company is in compliance with all applicable legislation.
- Create, execute and negotiate a broad range of complex vendor agreements, including SaaS, partnership, distribution and professional services agreements for all business units.
- Support the sales team by negotiating customer contracts and developing a deep understanding of the company’s day-to-day business to adequately balance risk and speed to close
- Ensure contracts and legal documents are centrally maintained and administer the monitoring of standardized contractual tools.
- Advise and guide various units of the organization (i.g. HR, Finance, Sales, Marketing, Product) on all legal aspects of their business processes and projects
- Act as liaison with outside legal services
- Ability to identify risks and provide effective counsel and solutions to partners as well as provide sound solutions to our clients.
- Excellent negotiator who knows how to keep complex legal negotiations simple and clear.
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities and tasks in a fast-paced environment and get the right things down.
- Practical and proactive problem solver who possesses strong business acumen.
- Thoughtful and persuasive interpersonal skills and ability to build and maintain strong working relationships.
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- 7+ years of relevant experience in corporate, commercial and transactional law.
- Member in good standing of the Barreau du Québec.
- Bilingual in French and English, both oral and written.
- Experience in drafting and reviewing SaaS and software contracts
- Common Law degree and experience in US law, an asset.
- Experience in privacy laws is an asset.
- Experience in private equity transaction is an asset.
- Quebec City or Montreal